Skip navigation
Chupamirtodorado
Currently Being Moderated

.psd saving as quicktime

Jul 28, 2012 2:16 PM

All of a sudden when I save a .psd file in CS6 (windows 7) it now bears a quicktime file icon.  Anyone know how I can get back the standard photoshop file?   Thanks.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 28, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Chupamirtodorado

Open Bridge, and look in the Preferences - File Type Associations menu.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Chupamirtodorado

Some programs, such as Apple's QT Player, will usurp File Associations, when installed, or updated. It used to be really bad at that, offering the user no option, but to go in later and re-assign the File Associations correctly. Over the last few years, Apple got better at that, and will now offer the option to "Associate common file types with QT Player," or similar syntax. However, many do not realize how many file types WILL be associated to that program. I manually assign only MP4's and MOV's, when updating it.

I think that Noel's suggestion will be helpful in getting your File Association back, and you might wish to check most other formats, like TGA, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, etc..

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 4:26 PM   in reply to Chupamirtodorado

OK, in Windows Control Panel, go to Folder Options (don't think this name changed in Win7?), and File Types. What do you see for PSD's there? If QT Player, then be sure to check other image formats too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 8:15 PM   in reply to Chupamirtodorado

In Control Panel click on Default Programs.  One of the headings in there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,469 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 29, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

OK, in Windows Control Panel, go to Folder Options (don't think this name changed in Win7?), and File Types. What do you see for PSD's there? If QT Player, then be sure to check other image formats too.

FolderOptions.jpg

FYI, Microsoft has been busily taking the ability to closely control the final file associations away from the application programmer, and it's being presented differently to the user.  It's moved to an entirely different place in Windows 7 (per Curt's instruction), and is going to be changing again in Windows 8, as it will be adding yet another layer of abstraction because of precisely the problem identified by Chupamirtodorado above.

DefaultPrograms.jpg

Unfortunately, Photoshop doesn't normally appear in the Default Programs list in Windows 7. I think things are in such transition with Windows 7 and so many apps found so many ways to associate themselves with file types that people have to resort to direct registry editing in some cases.

I honestly don't know how to advise further here, except perhaps to try the [Reset to Default Associations] button in Bridge.

ResetToDefaultAssociations.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

Thank you for updating my knowledge of more current OS's.

I have seen many others make the same allusions, as to MS "hiding" or removing user controls in later versions, just as you point out.

I appreciate your pointing the OP in the right direction, with "show-n-tells," as I learned something new too (I usually pick up at least one new thing here, every day!).

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to Chupamirtodorado

Great news! I had the "concept" down, but really muddied the waters with my "archaic" directions. Noel stepped in, and got the job done.

Happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points