Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Copy fill colour to stroke colour

Jul 28, 2012 6:04 AM

Hi All,

I humbly seek help to copy specific fill colour so that it can be filled in as stroke colour in other compound path. I attached 2 screen shots as below. I want to copy the blue olour to replace he red stroke.colour. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

fill colour.jpg

fill colour to stroke.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to davidjerk

David,

I see no compound path, but if I understand it in the right way, you may use the normal Selection Tool and the bottom of the Toolbox as follows:

1) Select the target path with the unwanted stroke colour and set the stroke colour to None,

2) Select the source path with the desired fill colour and switch to the Fill box,

3) Select the target path, switch to the Stroke box, and click the Color box, reset the Stroke Weight if needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to davidjerk

I do it this way

Select the object to be changed.

Look at the fill/stroke box at the bottom of the tool box or color panel and make sure the stroke box is in front of the fill box the way it is on your second screen shot. (pressing X on your keyboard toggles them)

Pick the Eyedropper tool, hold Shift (or press I on your keyboard) and click the color you want for your stroke

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to davidjerk

If I do it as Jacob suggested I will do in different order so, that I can see the target object all the time in preview mode.

Select the source object, and make sure the fill box is in front of stroke box in the color panel the way it is on your first screen shot and the image below

Select the target object and press the color box (circled in red on the image below)

Swap stroke with fill (Shift + X)

Press / key on your keyboard (which is the question mark key without Shift), to set the fill to none.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to davidjerk

David,

However will this copy the desired blue colour value to the target path so that the stroke is filled as blue?

Yes.

The proof of the pudding is the eating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to davidjerk

Perhaps this is easier to do

1. select the blue filled path

2. bring the fill prox to the front (either in the tool panel or in the color panel.

3. make a new swatch of theat blue from the flyout of either the color or swatch panel.

4 select the path with the stroke you wish to change and bring the stroke proxy to the front

5 select the swatch you just made.

This is handy in case you wish to use this color again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to davidjerk

davidjerk wrote:

Hi Jacob,

My screen shot shows that I do not have "last colour" as shown in black circle. Pls adv.

Because your current color is the same as your last color, so you don't need it. It will show when you select something with different color and press X to switch the fill box in front

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to davidjerk

davidjerk wrote:

... However, my screen shows two different icons, pls adv if I am doing it correctly. Thanks in advance.

the little triangle on a swatch mean spot (with the dot) or global color, don't worry about that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 9:14 PM   in reply to davidjerk

Where are you stuck with the Jacob's method?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 2:23 AM   in reply to davidjerk

David, apologizing for my absence (after 1:39AM over here),

It sounds as if you have skipped step 1), setting the target path Stroke to None. When you do (not skip) that, the Color box will (or should) keep the Fill Color from step 2) to step 3).

If it works differently, something may be ailing or disturbing Illy.

Thank you for stepping in, Emil.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob's way is very fast and efficient and if you do not need to mae the color a swatch for reuse or if a swatch already exist and you have lot's od swatches it is very good.

In case this is simply not registering and I find a video is an easier way to explain things here is a video of Jacob's way.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/Jacobsway.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to davidjerk

David, I guess I confused you with suggesting a different order of Jacobs method. I didn't pay attention that the fill of the target object on your screen shot is white and I thought it is none. So, the steps I suggested in post #5 to skip step 1 are valid only if you start with an object with its fill already set to none. If not you can't skip step 1 and should follow exactly the steps suggested by Jacob in post #1. The most important thing to note with using the Last Color is that either the fill or the stroke of the target object has to be none in order for the Last Color to show. If the two objects have fills an stroke color, the Last Color will never be available.

To avoid confusion just ignore, my suggestion in post #5, and follow only the three different suggestions: Jacob's in post #1, mine in post #3, and Wade's in post #8 which you already tried successfully. And then use the one that you find easiest  or most appropriate for a situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 3:30 AM   in reply to davidjerk

David,

As you say, both fill and stroke need to be None; I believed there was no (white) fill in the target object in the OP.

When you have both fill and stroke in the target object and wish to copy the fill colur of the source object to become the new stroke colour, you may use an extension (cheatery) as follows:

0) Create a nostroke/nofill auxiliary object,

1) Select the target path with the unwanted stroke colour and set the stroke colour to None,

2) Select the source path with the desired fill colour and switch to the Fill box,

3a) Select the auxiliary path, switch to the Stroke box, and click the Color box,

3b) Select the target path and click the Color box, reset the Stroke Weight if needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to davidjerk

David,

How somehow?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to davidjerk

You're wlecome hope we helped you in someway to work better with Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points