Skip navigation
mr. pep
Currently Being Moderated

Will CS3 and CS5 run on new Macs?

May 11, 2012 6:36 PM

I need to run Indesign and Photoshop in both CS3 AND CS5. Will they run on a new Mac Pro OS? Do I need Rosetta? I hear it will work on Lion OS 10.6, but not the upcoming Mountain Lion OS 10.7. True?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 11, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to mr. pep

Lion is 10.7. CS5 should be okay but I make no promises as for CS3.

I won’t even guess about 10.8.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 12:03 AM   in reply to mr. pep

mr. pep wrote:

…Lion OS 10.6…Mountain Lion OS 10.7…

I can never keep the nicnames straight myself, but I think 10.6 is Snow Leopard, 10.7 is Lion, and I haven't heard about what 10.8 will be, but Mountain Lion sounds pretty good to me.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    May 12, 2012 5:21 AM   in reply to mr. pep

mr. pep wrote:

I need to run Indesign and Photoshop in both CS3 AND CS5. Will they run on a new Mac Pro OS? Do I need Rosetta? I hear it will work on Lion OS 10.6, but not the upcoming Mountain Lion OS 10.7. True?

Rosetta is a technology for running PowerPC software on Intel Macintoshes, and it is obsoleted in the currently shipping Lion 10.7.

Rosetta is not required for InDesign CS3.

InDesign CS3 will run under LIon (10.7) but there may be some dodgy parts.

Not because of gross incompatibilities, but because Apple has changed a bunch of little things, and they are starting to add up.

You can expect more problems running under Mountain Lion (10.8 not 10.7), but it  is hard to predict the future. I suspect that if you try hard enough you can make CS3 work under Mountain Lion, but you ought to plan on arranging your life so that is not necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I am running CS3 under Lion (10.7). There were a few things that broke, but nothing monumental. One of the biggest things that broke that I used to use all the time was Photoshop Droplets. You can still run the Actions that the Droplets are based off of, but the Droplets themselves do not work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

By the way, I am planning to upgrade to Mountain Lion tonight, so I will report back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

The FAQ page specifically calls out PhotoShop CS3 as having been tested (by Adobe) and they say no problems were found. They don't mention InDesign though.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#lion-os

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Will Adobe CS3 run on Mountain Lion ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to mmu00

The only way to know would be to try. The further the distance between when the software was released and when the operating system software was released, the greater the chance of problems.

Time to think about upgrading your software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

I would also say that it would be best to do a clean install of Mountain Lion if you’re not buying a new machine with it preinstalled. O/S upgrades are a crapshoot and if you’ve already done one or two upgrade installs you have a lot of left over crap on that drive.

Here’s a pretty good article on how to do it:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167867/should_you_do_a_clean_install_ of_mountain_lion.html

BTW, you’ll need at least an 8 gig USB stick. The installer is a tad over 4 gigs. Here’s one for $7.00: http://amzn.to/Oy8Mjh

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 29, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Bob writes:

I would also say that it would be best to do a clean install of Mountain Lion if you’re not buying a new machine with it preinstalled. O/S upgrades are a crapshoot and if you’ve already done one or two upgrade installs you have a lot of left over crap on that drive.

It's worth a reminder that reasonable people disagree on this point.

In my considered opinion, the immense hassle of attempting to preserve all your customizations and to reinstall all of your 3rd party software is huge, and and generally that administrative pain (and risk) is not offset by the potential elimination of potentially unknown and poorly-understood problems.

Further, unlike in the Windows world, the general expectation in the Mac community (that is, among users, among developers, and from the Vendor--Apple) is that you will do the migration. This means the migration is that path that is tested and it tends to work pretty well. This is not to say that migrating is expected to be more reliable than a clean installation (though when we start to talk about the reliability of "getting work done," which involves the reliability of applications and availability of your data, that is very different question than the reliability of the base operting system, with no additional software).

So choose carefully, and whatever you do, keep a backup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

John Hawkinson wrote:

It's worth a reminder that reasonable people disagree on this point.

Define reasonable, John. There are plenty of people that would agree with me...such as those having been burned by the upgrade process in the past.

So choose carefully, and whatever you do, keep a backup.

You won't catch me arguing with that. In fact, I think that fact goes without saying.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I tend to agree with John on this one. I've also read widely among the technical gurus of the Mac (like the folks at TidBITS) and they tend to agree.

If you choose to do the in place upgrade in recent reversions of the Mac, everyone agrees that it's essential to do a complete backup. It's very easy to do this with great products like Carbon Copy Cloner and an external drive.

The in place upgrade (which I've done the past three or four times) works well for 98% of people. For the cases where it does not work well, you can use your backup to "roll back" and then you can do a clean install.

I think Apple has greatly improved the process in recent years so for most people it's trustworthy. But MAKE A BACKUP first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Different strokes and all that but I got burned once with the Snow Leopard upgrade and there's no way I'd personally waste my time doing that again. The one thing we all agree on is the value of backups.

So, to the OP, go right ahead and try the upgrade. If it works, great, but before you do, I would google "clean upgrade of Mountain Lion" and keep those directions handy.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 29, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

But MAKE A BACKUP first.

I've done one clean install in the last 10 years—when I switched to my first Intel machine—and never had a problem. But, for major upgardes I clone my system partion to an external drive first (Retrospect does a great job making bootable clones) and test the upgrade there. Takes a lot less time than reinstalling apps and figuring out preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Let's get back to the OP's question. 

I have installed Mountain Lion and I am running CS3 (including InDesign) on it, with no problems. The only trouble that I noticed was with Photoshop, and that occurred with the upgrade to Lion — I lost the Droplet functionality.

I have had no trouble with InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Thanks for the update. This was a major question for me before considering the new upgrade. I am still in Snow Leopard but am looking forward to Mountain Lion. Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to Matt-1000

Be aware, if you are coming from Snow Leopard up to Mountain Lion, there will be a LOT of things broken. Snow Leopard had built-in support for non-universal apps. Any apps that have not been updated to a universal (i.e. Intel-compatible) will be broken by an upgrade to Mountain Lion, or even Lion, for that matter.

But germaine to this topic, the only breakage with Adobe Creative Suites 3, that I have noticed are the ones that I mentioned above.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 30, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to Matt-1000

I just tried CS3 on Mountain Lion, both ID and Illustrator crash when I try to print. I can export a PDF. Photoshop lets me print.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 30, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Crash report?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:15 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

One thing I don't think I mentioned, because I thought that it was probably just my system.

After upgrading to Mountain Lion, I could not get InDesign CS3 to see my font server (Suitcase Fusion 4). I was abloe to resolve this by stopping and restarting the Font Core in System Preferences, and then restarting both programs. Everything has been fine since then.

Hopefully this will help someone else who might be pulling their hair out over this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 30, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 30, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Rob Day

AdobeAGM in Apple's CFURLCreateStringWithFileSystemPath(). This sounds a lot like the problem people reported with CS3 under 10.7, though I don't have them in front of me. (There was some rather strange solution involving deleting some printing-related settings files, I think?). "Huh." Thanks, Rob.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

John Hawkinson wrote:

(There was some rather strange solution involving deleting some printing-related settings files, I think?). "Huh." Thanks, Rob.

Was that the one where users had to delete the Acrobat PPD or some such?

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jul 30, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Was that the one where users had to delete the Acrobat PPD or some such?

Yes, that was it. And several instances from several language/locale-specific folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

Be aware, if you are coming from Snow Leopard up to Mountain Lion, there will be a LOT of things broken.

Yeah, I am evaluating that before upgrading. I have a few other things to investigate, but I am glad CS3 should basically work. I use PhotoShop a lot and InDesign ocassionally.

Speaking of PhotoShop, I have some AppleScripts that I use a lot. Anyone having script issues after upgrade?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

I remember the deleting languages part. I think I had to do that one when I upgraded to Lion. I had forgotten that (or purged it from my memory, like a bad dream).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Matt-1000

Send me the scripts that you use, and I will be happy to test them for you, when I get home.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to claidheamdanns

I upgraded to Mountain Lion, and haven't come across any show stoppers with CS5 so far

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 30, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Matt-1000

Speaking of PhotoShop, I have some AppleScripts that I use a lot. Anyone having script issues after upgrade?

I think it will depend on if the script targets the finder (i.e., tell application "finder" --do something-- end tell), because the finder dictionary often changes on a major upgrade. You should't have problems with scripts that stay inside of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Jul 30, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to John Hawkinson

That appears to have worked. I deleted everything except en.lproj from Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources, so I can still access the AdobePDF ppd

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to mr. pep

Did the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. No problems. Everything went smoothly. The AppleScripts that I have checked so far work fine. It is not as different as I expected. When it restarted, my desktop looked exactly the same, except for a couple extra icons in my dock.

As far as the clean boot discussion, I found a Macworld article if anyone is interested:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167867/should_you_do_a_clean_install_ of_mountain_lion.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to Matt-1000

I just upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.6), now Indesign CS3 crashes every time it opens. Suggestions would be MOST welcome! Half my documents are in this ap.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to Michele Burgess

Mountain Lion is 10.7. How did you upgrade?

In place O/S upgrade (very bad idea) or clean install?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Sorry, Bob. My head was spinning from frustration when I posted. I was on Snow Leopard 10.6.3. Called Adobe, he said to do all the software updates, so I'm now 10.6.8. I can now open CS3 Indesign and CS3 Photoshop, but still not Contribute 3. And when I click on  images which previously opened in Photoshop, they  open in Preview. Where would be the preferences to change that? Thanks very much for your quick response to my previous situation.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jan 18, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

In place O/S upgrade (very bad idea) or clean install?

Just a reminder, there is not widespread agreement that an upgrade is a bad idea. That is Bob's opinion (and one I disagree with generally, though I admit there are reasons to go either way).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to John Hawkinson

We'll agree to disagree on that. O/S upgrades are nothing but a crapshoot.

In the mean time to answer the final question. Right click on a file that opens in preview (jpg perhaps) and choose get info. Change the file associate there to open it in Photoshop.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thank you, Bob, worked like a charm. I found I have to upgrade to Contribute 6.5, downloaded the trial, it didn't recognize my website, but I've figured it out. Whew!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points