Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No images on pdfs using the new Adobe Digital Editions

Sep 15, 2007 1:58 PM

I tried to open an e-book using Acrobat 8, but I was obliged to download and install the new digital editions.
Most of the pdfs were imported ok, the exception being an e-book which doesn't show any image at all - front-page included.
Trying to open the e-book using "open with" doesn't work - I still get the download page.
Can you help me ?
Many thanks.
Alain

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2007 9:19 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    My ebooks open ok on this end. I just have a different problem of having the program disappear after reboot. I have to re-install it at least 3 times a week! I think this program has many bugs that need to be worked out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2007 11:39 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Karen, Can you please submit a support incident at www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/? Disappearing installs is something completely knew and we would like to figure that out.

Alain, do you know if the images in the book were JPEG2000? This type of image is not currently supported by Digital Editions. Can you tell us something about the book or where you got it?

Thanks,
    Ric

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2007 11:57 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    i purchased two books from file planet. Text is fine, background colour is fine, pictures....not one. Suggestions

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2007 12:41 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Well i think i found problem. The items, under info have listed "Document is using unsupported pdf feature".

So i get/buy this item, has to be used in adobe, which in the end adobe does not support item. Total bs.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2007 6:48 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    I have just purchased an Archaeology book (R. Bradley's Archaeology of Britain & Ireland), my first using Adobe Digital Editions.

Is there any explanation as to why no images appear (including the cover)?

The software seemeed to download OK, as did the actual copy of the book and I got no apparent error messages. The text of the book is all there and functioning but none of the 70+ illustrations which are essential to follow the arguement.

Surely you can't take money for a book which does not contain all the content, unless this is made clear up front? Can someone please clarify this.

Keith

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 20, 2007 8:27 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    i cant see the pictures of an ebook with the adobe digital editions, how can i open the book with other program or with the acrobat reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2007 5:02 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Hi, I've just installed "Adobe Digital Editions" and downloaded an E-book (The focal easy guide to Adobe Encore 2.0 from Jeff Bellune). When loading I've got exactly the same effect as you described. So I've downloaded it again - and suddenly the first few pages showed the pictures / graphics. A third try of downloading didn't show any further improvement - next to the message from the supplier that my access right are blocked. Finally I've tried to open the file with my Acrobat 7.0 Professional - didn't work. I don't think that the problem is on the network side (I have a 2Mb/1Mb Internet access). Now I'm going to write the supplier that I want to step down from the contract and want the money back. This technology seems still a long way from being practically usable.

Regards,
    Roger

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2007 1:20 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Here's the message I got when I contacted the e-books supplier through their contact email on the page that sells the books.

I am checking to see if any other format might work, otherwise I'll get a refund, and hope that they get it working before too long, because the overall idea I think is good.

Sent: Tue 16/10/2007 00:21
    To: MAY, Keith
    Subject: RE: Download Problems

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message, unfortunately the new Adobe Digital Editions required to download the ebook has a known issue displaying some images embedded in certain ebooks. Unfortunately we are unable to change this format so the reader will display the images.

I apologize for the trouble if you would prefer a refund or exchange for another title or a different format please let me know.

Best wishes,
    The eBooks.com Team

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2007 1:21 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Here's the message I got when I contacted the e-books supplier through their contact email on the pages that sell the books.

I am checking to see if any other format might work, otherwise I'll get a refund, and hope that they get it working before too long, because the overall idea I think is good.

Sent: Tue 16/10/2007 00:21
    To: MAY, Keith
    Subject: RE: Download Problems

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your message, unfortunately the new Adobe Digital Editions required to download the ebook has a known issue displaying some images embedded in certain ebooks. Unfortunately we are unable to change this format so the reader will display the images.

I apologize for the trouble if you would prefer a refund or exchange for another title or a different format please let me know.

Best wishes,
    The eBooks.com Team

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2007 9:03 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    We are working on adding support for JPEG2000 but for the time being DE does not support that format. We apologize for the inconvenience.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2007 9:50 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Hey ric any way to open the ebooks without DE atm since you changed to a system that does not support half the images on the net?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2007 5:52 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    if you uninstall adobe 8 and reinstall adobe 7 you can view the ebooks that wont show images in DM. though you may need to request a new download key for it from the place you bought it. waiting on my new key from FP for my prima guide

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2007 8:17 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Downloaded Play Magazine Girls of Gaming from File Planets D2Drive and no images show. Can't figure out if jpeg2k as opening settings crashes program. Win XP. Reader 8.1.1. Tried to open in PS CS3 to no avail. Says need to disable all security on file?

This program is not ready. Forcing it on people who have paid for a digital download is simply bad business. "Sorry for the inconvenience" doesn't cut it. I'm sure File Planet isn't too pleased either with the number of people asking for refunds because their product can't be viewed.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2007 9:24 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    This is almost certainly because the images in that file are encoded in JPEG2000 format. We are working to add support for that in Digital Editions, but in the meantime, your only alternative is to revert to Reader 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2007 6:08 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    Alain,

If you have Acrobat 8, uninstall the new Digital Editions. Then download and install Acrobat Reader 7. You will probably need to Authorise Device and redownload your book:

In Adobe Reader 7, go to File, Digital Editions, and Authorise Device. (Make sure you have uninstalled the new version of Digital Editions), then follow the online wizard, you need a .Net or AdobeID to do this.

When the Authorisation is complete, redownload the ebook from your ebook store and this time it should use Adobe Reader 7 which will display all the images.

It worked for me, hope you have the same result.

Kind Regards
    Damian Eastwood

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2007 10:08 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    I agree with Stephen..Only in todays age, can a company make a product that's "better", when it doesn't perform the simple tasks that it's predecessor did.

Every company is so darn worried about piracy and plagiarism, that they rush a product down the assembly line, force an upgrade, and then let the poor customer work out the bugs for them...It's not good business.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 2:51 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    I'd like to download adobe reader 7.0 but I can't seem to find any place to download it from; no matter how many different types of google searches I use. Anyone know where it can be downloaded from?

I'm getting the same problems with digital editions not showing pics of purchased ebooks

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2007 6:01 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)

You have to dig a bit to find the All version page. Select your OS (but remember to say XP if you are using Vista - Reader 7.0 is not officially supported on Vista). and then select the version you want

Jim Lester

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2008 7:41 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    I also just purchased an ebook online and what a stupid mistake i made, i will never buy another ebook again and Adobe's software, particularly this dumb Digital Editions Rubbish.

What good is it for portability when you cannot even transfer that ebook you purchased to another computer of yours especially your laptop?. I happened to have 6 pcs and one laptop in my home.

Please for sanity's sake fix this problem once and for all. We are NOT proud of your software anymore.

Extremely Disappointed User

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2008 10:58 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    i think that is the fix for it. Tried it here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 5:18 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)
    ohhh so nice, just install reader 7, oh wait, no reader 7 for my intel mac... thanks a lot adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2011 8:43 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)

we do ebook conversions and with this new upgrade, our images are not showing . . . .     what is going on Adobe.  they are not jpeg 2000 images.  some are showing others are not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 9:49 AM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)

I have just been sent a test-book by BooksonBoard. it is in Adobe ePub format, not ADE-pdf. It does have a front cover and illustrations inside. The problem I was having with a previous version was the lack of images. This different download seems to have solved one of my problems, plus the registered number of pages has dropped from 172 down to 73.

All I need now is for someone to convert all the other books to ePub. What chance???

I know this is not the answer to the problem, but it seems there IS a solution out there.....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 12:21 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)

This is the latest response from BooksonBoard. I suspect that this will be the 'common' response from most eBook outlets.

Covers displayed on our site arrive in the meta data feed.  It is up to the publisher whether they attach these cover images to the eBook file itself.  Most publishers do, but some do not.  If you are experiencing an issue with images which should be included within the eBook file, it is likely that the publisher has not formatted these such that they are compatible with the firmware of the device.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2011 3:41 PM   in reply to ex-snapper

As a bit of a workaround, if you just want to replace the image that ADE displays in the library view.  The cached .png file is under your (My) Digital Editions folder in the Thumbnails folder usually in the form Book_Name_Here.png.   Close ADE, download your preferred cover image from wherever you want - the bookseller, google, etc..., and save it as a .png file, replace the file in the Thumbnails folder, and then when you launch ADE you should see the new image in the library view.

Unfortunately this wont help you at all, if you want to see cover graphics in the reading view.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2011 1:49 PM   in reply to (Alain_Chamoux)

Using Windows Vista, I download PDF's to my computer from various library locations (for example, http://www.archive.org/download/devisesetembleme00lafeu/devisesetemble me00lafeu.pdf).

Then I open them with Acrobat 10.0.1, and they display just fine.

Then, using ADE 1.7.2.1131, I use Add Item to Library to put them in the list of ebooks in my library -- and the images do not display at all when I open the book. In Item Info on ADE, I get "Document uses unsupported PDF feature."

I see reports of this problem (many quite furious) dating back for years. I am stymied. Is this a DRM issue -- I didn't formally "buy" or "borrow" the book? Is this a JPEG2000 issue? Is this because ADE knows that PDF's are not suitable for many small ereaders, so it doesn't even try to support them? Some discussions seem to say that I may have to uninstall my Adobe Reader 10 and downgrade (retrograde?) to an earlier Reader.

ADBE, please: (1) explain the current status of the issue and (2) fix it so that any PDF viewable in the latest Acrobat reader is also viewable in ADE.

Thanks,

coop_bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to coop_bob

I too am having problems with this, and it is now 2012. This issue has been going on for at least 5 years I see by all the messages. Is there any relief in sight here? I am using ADE 1.7.2.1131. I have nearly 800 "books" in my library. I have been downloading and creating my own documents for about a year now, and I didn't have this issue until just recently. Lately, more and more "books" have been unable to display in ADE, but yet are perfectly readable in Adobe Reader. You would think that they would both be able to read the same sort of documents. I would prefer to read them in ADE, as I can organize them in the library view.

Oh, and I realize this next problem is a known issue as well, but I wish you could fix ADE so it doesn't slow down so badly when you get a high number of documents. With nearly 800 documents my computer comes to a complete stand still at times. I have to use the task manager to "end program" and then restart it. Quite annoying.

Please Adobe, can you once and for all fix these problems.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to bonsaiboy7

Remember that the software - any software - has limitations.  ADE's are

spelled out in the HELP section (F1 key from Library view).   Not all

features of Adobe Reader are included.  You should know this, and not

assume that ADE will do what you think it should do - whether the tech's

are working on an expanded version or not.  Whining about an 'unresolved

issue' ignores your responsibility to make sure that the software you use

will work for the purposes you intend it to.

ADE was not designed to support the digital version of the New York Public

Library either.  If you need more oomph in your ereader library support,

then you should check out software that's designed with enough robustness

to support libraries such as Overdrive and Bluefire Reader.  They will

run on your equipment, and interface in much the same manner as ADE with

sources for ebooks....

===================

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Frustrated in AZ

You know what? You are right. I should have looked things over more before installing ADE. The reason I didn't, and that I installed ADE in the first place was that my local library recommended it for use with their digital library and provided it for download. And at the time, I wasn't very knowledgeable about ebooks and ebook readers. It worked fine for that, and to start with my own library wasn't that large. However, I do a lot of research into aviation and military history and my library has grown quite large due to that. I guess I am outgrowing it. Anyway, after seeing your message, I started looking closer at e-book reading software, and after checking out your suggestions, which are not suitable for my situation. I have decided to replace ADE with a program that at least for now looks to be more suitable than ADE. Calibre has more features and appears to be able to handle a larger library. We'll see how it works out after I transfer my library

over. There are a couple of things that I like better about ADE,(such as ADE's bookshelf view, and I don't particularly like Calibre's folder structure) but they are outweighed by the features that Calibre has. Thank you for making me look a  little closer at the choices available to me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)