Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can we Copy and Paste Classes and other things?

Jul 28, 2012 9:46 PM

Tags: #paste #format #copy #paragraph_style #classes #dreamweaver_cs6 #namo_webeditor

I'm using the 30 day trial and so far Dreamweaver is a lot like Namo WebEditor 2006 (without all of the bugs and slow loading of HTML files). I'm saving up my money and will buy Dreamweaver in about 2 months if everything goes OK.

Well, Namo WebEditor 2006 lets you click on a paragraph in the WYSIWYG pane, press Shift + F2 and a Copy Format dialog box appears. It will let you copy the Paragraph style, Character attributes, Font color, Background color, Table properties, Cell properties, and Hyperlink. It uses check boxes and you can select just one or even all of them if you want.

I mostly use it to copy and paste classes. I click on the paragraph, press Shift + F2, then click the OK button since paragraph style is already selected from previous use. From then on, all I have to do is click on a paragraph or select mutiple paragraphs and press F2 to 'paste' the class. Simple. Easy. Fast.

Does Dreamweaver CS6 have something similar to that? From what I've read so far, older versions of Dreamwaver weren't as user-friendly, but by now, Dreamweaver must have something similar. A program that costs almost 400 dollars can't let a program that costs less than 100 dollars kick its butt. There must be some quick way to copy and paste classes with Dreamweaver CS6 and I just can't find it yet because I'm new to the software.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to Random Terrain

Yes DW has everything you are looking for it and more.  For example you have several paragraphs set up on your page and you have meticulously created styles for paragraphs.  The easiest way to apply these styles is to work in design view and then select one of the paragraphs of interest and then at the bottom of the window you will see the properties window with an item called class.  Click on the drop-down list and select your class and voilla your class is automatically applied to that paragraph.  See this picture:

2012-07-29_0555.png

You will need to click on the above image to get it magnified.

Hope this gives you the idea.

To buy DW, I always advice people to do so from Amazon because they generally have better value for most products.

G/L

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Random Terrain

Random Terrain wrote:

Thanks, but the paragraphs I want to change are also links, so doing that puts the class in the link instead of in the <p> section. If I highlight all of the links and do it, Dreamweaver sticks the class in the div that surrounds the links. I can do it by hand in the code, but I was hoping there'd be a quicker copy and paste way of doing it. If buggy Namo WebEditor 2006 can do it, Dreamweaver CS6 (in 2012) should be able to do something similar.

If your paragraphs are also links then you set two styles for that paragraph:  1) for the paragraph and 2) for the links;

We are working here with hypotheticals  and unless you have some concrete examples it is impossible to give you ideas how to do things in DW.  Please post an example or a link to a page which can be recreated here with instructions.  Make sure the page you create here isn't too big to make it unworkable.  These are support forums so we are limited in how much can be copied and pasted here.

DW is tool to aid you to do things quickly which can otherwise be also done in plain text editors.  I know people who will never touch tools like DW or Expressiona Web because they are quite comfortable with text editors which they have been using for years.

Good luck and come back with any technical questions you have about DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Random Terrain

The code NAMO generates isn't exactly efficient, is it? 

Code validation errors:

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.randomter rain.com%2Fatari-2600-memories-et.html

DW is pro-level software that forces you to use standards compliant code. You would get a better final product if you started over with a pre-built CSS Layout.

File > New > blank page > HTML > select a layout...

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to Random Terrain

If you look on the right side of the page, you'll see an area called Pages in this Subsection. I was using a different class and wanted to quickly copy and paste a new class, similar to the way Namo WebEditor 2006 does. Since there were only 4 lines to change, I simply edited the code, but if I ever have a larger number of lines to change, a format copy and paste would be faster and easier. I'm surprised that Dreamweaver doesn't have a format copy and paste. (Selecting a class from a drop-down menu isn't as fast as hitting F2.)

Ok I tried to recreate the page in DW and it is pretty easy to do what you are saying.   "copy and paste"  may not be the right terminology.  I normally use "Apply a class"  and you can see from this picture that I have access to the entire style sheet in DW:

2012-07-30_0222.png

Click on the image to get a blow-up of the main parts.  What I did is simply select a particular text and then clicked on the class section in the properties window and you can see it is displaying the classes and so it is a matter of selecting the right class to apply in that particular instance.

I hope you get the idea but you should take this in steps to get familiar with DW.  Have you done David Power's lessons on DW?  It is worth a quick read because he gives you all the instructions and practice files to go with it.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Random Terrain

You know, that could be a proprietary operation of the Namo software. It's possible DW simply can't add that functionality without stepping on somebody's patent. I know Adobe goes ape when somebody makes things a little too Adobe-esque.

Never know, could be the case.

Either way, I don't see a way, using keyboard shortcuts, to do what you're looking for in DW.

Too bad, seems like it would be handy for certain things.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points