Skip navigation
ReedJ12
Currently Being Moderated

Audio gets quiet when importing video

Jul 28, 2012 8:53 PM

Tags: #audio #windows_7 #import #elements_10

Hi,

I have been having this issue where every time I import a video into PE10, the audio in the video becomes much quieter. Its quiet during editing and when I export the edited video, even though I have not applied any audio effects. I have tried importing different file types, new projects, saving as different video types but no luck. Any idea why PE10 is doing this?

Thanks,

Reed

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to ReedJ12

Open the Audio Mixer tool (under the green speaker icon in your timeline) and use it to judge your audio levels. Your audio levels should peak at zero.

NEVER trust the sound coming out of your speakers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to ReedJ12

How do the Audio files play on your computer in say VLC Player?

Is their Volume/Gain sounding fine there?

If you have good Audio on the computer, then I would look in Edit>Preferences>Audio and Audio Hardware (including the ASIO settings), to check that everything is set properly.

With Audio, there are basically three places to check: the system (that is why I asked about another player, like VLC), then Edit>Preferences>Audio and Preferences>Audio Hardware.

Good luck, and let us know what your Audio & Audio Hardware settings are, please. A screen-cap of each dialog panel would be very useful. Also, letting us know about your Audio sub-system on your computer might yield some ideas, as well.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to ReedJ12

OK, if you had to turn VLC to the max, then my first step would be to look at the system's setting for all audio in Control Panel. As mentioned, audio issue troubleshooting should begin with the system (in "system," I am also talking about any Realtek or Creative control console too), then PrE's Audio settings, and then Audio Hardware settings.

When you have completely exhausted setting at the system/OS level, I would find a "known good" PCM/WAV file (you could even use one of the "system sounds"), and test with ONLY that. That will give you an audio level that is constant, and you can compare meters across the board in your testing. If one jumps about, with different source files, they never have a common dB factor to work with. For instance, I have different SFX files of essentially the same sound, where the dB levels are all over the place, from a whisper to a shout. Using several would only confuse me. Find one (even better if you "know it," and have "heard it"), and use it for all testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

One way to do a test file is start a New Project in PrE. Then go to the Project Panel and click on the New Icon. Choose Bars & Tones, to create a Clip of the test bars and tones. It only needs to be about 5 - 10 sec. long. Export/Share to an easy CODEC, like the DV-AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV audio. Then, use that file to test.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points