Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Highest quality Blu-ray disc encoding question ...

Jul 29, 2012 8:42 AM

I did a bit of searching on old posts, but still wasn't clear on the answer.  My source footage is 1280x720, 59.94p and came from a Contour+ helmet camera where the files are stored in a .mov file with H.264 encoding.   My video is only 9 minutes long.   What is the best method to produce the highest quality single layer BD out of PP and Encore in this case?

One response I can envision is that isn't going to matter in this case given the camera/source.  Otherwise, would one be better off using Adobe Dynamic Link and letting Encore choose the settings or selecting the format/preset and tweaking the video settings in PP and importing the resultant files into Encore?

If PP, I have seen some posts saying MPEG2 Blu-ray will produce a better result if the bit rate is cranked up high.  But then others imply H.264 will likely come out better.   I also noticed that the H.264 video settings allow increasing the bit rate there as well. 

I will have a question on video settings depending on the answer above.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to joneisele

I would go for export from PP with a H.264 BD preset. It's a beter encoder then mpeg2-BD.

Import the two files (m4v and ac3) into Encore, make menu and burn,

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to joneisele

I agree with Ann's suggestion, but you might want to do it both ways, in two Encore Projects, and burn a BRE rewritable disc, testing each on the same hardware, just to see which version your eyes like best.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to joneisele

Are you CS6? There was a bug for some 2pass VBR H.264 in CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to joneisele

Default bitrate is usually just fine.

I always set it to VBR2 and even set Use Max Render Quality on although I have a CUDA card.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Be sure to check your menus if you are having them animate.  I much prefer the H264 quality for the same file size, but the only time i've had problems in Encore's menus was with H264 source files.   when they work, they work well.  When they don't, there seems no way to fix them (even after a re-encode and start from scratch).   It's happened to me twice in approx 45 Blu-ray projects that used H264.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points