Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Downsides to multiplexing audio for H.264 Blu-ray disc?

Jul 29, 2012 3:50 PM

I have a 9 minute video; personal/consumer use; 1280x720; 59.94; source video from a Contour+ helmet camera that stores .mov, H.264; audio is on a separate track from my own selection of mp3 files (it is a music video).   I have three intended playback targets: Blu-ray disc, Sony PS3 native, and PC/Windows Media Player.   Is there a big downside on video or audio quality in this case using multiplexing to produce a single .m2t file imported into Encore to produce the BD vs. separate .m4v/.wav files?   Not a huge deal, but having to maintain one production files vs. three is a minor plus if it makes little to no difference on the BD front.

Depending on the answer, If I use the H.264 Blu-ray format/preset in PP to produce the .m2t file does Encore have to re-encode?   I am assuming Encore does not reencode if I am using separate .m4v/.wav files.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to joneisele

If you export either with or without multiplexing Encore will not re-encode.

Encore works better with two separate files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 11:50 PM   in reply to joneisele

The quality is not influenced by muxing or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to joneisele

If the audio stream is muxed, to the best of my knowledge Encore will re-transcode both video and audio if the audio stream doesn't match the project audio settings.  Yet another reason to use elementary audio and video streams whenever possible.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to joneisele

the defaults for H.264 Blu-ray and the 720p 59.94 preset within PP which has Dolby Digital for the audio format

The default for all H.264 Blu-ray presets is actually PCM audio.  If it's set to DD, then you must have changed it.  This happens when you change the default Multiplexer from None to TS.

Best to leave it at None and create two exports, one for BD and one for computer playback.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to joneisele

Don't create an .m2t file and it won't be an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to joneisele

am admittedly confused as to why Encore (apparently) needs to transcode the video stream here.

I don't  understand it either, I just know that is the way it works. There are more variables than you may think on how the audio stream is formed, and some variations are not bd legal. Also, when you mux, Encore must demux before it can build. We don't know if Encore is takingthe easy way out and declaring anything muxed to be illegal, or whether Encore predicts what it has once demuxed and finds that that demuxed product is illegal.

It seems illogical for a mux to work and a demux not, if they are really the same streams. But muxing/demuxing is really not that simple.

I have not tested dynamic link in CS6. Many users believe it does not work well enough, but the combination of adobe media encoder and dynamic link would be one of the best ways for these multiple export formats to work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points