Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Slideshow flicker problems

Jul 29, 2012 6:21 PM

Tags: #zoom #pan #flicker #slideshow_image

I am creating my first slide show using the Organizer and PRE10, exactly as recommended by Steve Grisetti in his book.  I have resized all the photos to 1000x750 at most, created the slide show using the Organizer, applied pan and zoom to most of the images, exported to PRE10.  In PRE10 I have added music (using fade in and out ) and the occasional title. The file is DV standard (I am in Australia). I have rendered the timeline and the green line shows. I have a number of problems:

1. the preview window looks dreadful with thick vertical stripes in it - these look slightly different when I play the preview but are still there. They are not there in the exported file.  Why should the preview window not match the output even after rendering?

2. Next problem is what output format do I choose?  Initially I'll be viewing on the PC so I chose FLV DV large.  I've also tested DVD PAL as I may burn a DVD later.

3. Irrespective of output format the output looks bad wherever a pan and zoom has been applied - there is flickering, especially where there are lines in the image, such as the railings of a balcony.  I have tried various things - flicker removal on the photo, applying a gaussian blur in PS, de-interlacing the image, but none made a significant difference.  Also, even without pan and zoom my images don't look as sharp as if I use Picasa to do a simple slide show (no audio, titles, or pan and zoom though ).

Why is this so damn hard - in principle slide shows are something people do all the time.  I am sure I have watched friend's slide shows with pan and zoom - maybe their images were not of the sort to cause problems - vertical lines in the image seem to be the worst - or maybe I am more critical of my own presentation.

Any advice would be appreciated.  If necessary I will remove the pan and zoom from all slides.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 7:17 PM   in reply to kjm33

I hope you found my suggestions somewhat useful, kjm.

You don't say which project settings you used when you set up your project, but it's pretty unlikely your output is going to be high enough resolution to play full-screen on your computer monitor. With DV settings, after all, you're only outputting essentially a 640x480 image! Most likely your computer monitor is at least twice that resolution wide and twice that resolution tall.

I don't know what the thick horizontal stripes are you're seeing. Have you rendered your timeline (press Enter) before previewing it on your timeline? Unless you've got green lines along the top of your entire timeline, your playback is going to look pretty bad.

As for your output -- again, it doesn't matter how large the file is you're outputting if your original file was only set up for standard resolution DV. You'll just get a large version of a small file -- which won't look good.

You say you've tried de-interlacing. Does that mean you applied Flicker Removal to each photo?

All that said, you can only go so far working with video resolution. If you're really looking to create slideshows that will look good on your computer, you might better consider a program called Pro Show Gold. Check it out online. It's a dedicated slideshow creator.

Premiere Elements works best a tool for editing video, DVDs and BluRays.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 9:55 PM   in reply to kjm33

If one is using ONLY Still Images, then the choice of the Project Preset, and the Scaling of the Still Images in Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, should be predicated on the output.

If, however, there IS Video, that takes over, and the Project Preset should match THAT, and the Still Images should be Scaled to also match that. The output does not come into play, until time to Share the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:33 AM   in reply to kjm33

If that is full-AVCHD, it will be 1920 x 1080 w/ PAR = 1.0. That is what I would Scale the Still Images to. For a little "wiggle room," many use 2000 x 1500 w/ PAR = 1.0, and then let PrE Scale down, or just let the Frame Size effectively crop off a few pixels. I like to Scale exactly to my Video Frame Size in PS, or, if I need to Pan on a Zoomed out Image, just calculate the exact number of pixels needed, and Scale to that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points