Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Troubleshooting links

Jun 7, 2012 4:23 PM

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to Community Help

On the link checker orphaned files report you are supposed to be able to highlight files and press Delete to remove them.  In the past that seemed to work, at least most of the time, but recently, (maybe with updates to the software?) it frequently does not work. In fact I don't recall the last time it did work.  I just get an audible error ding sound.  It is not clear if that has a connection to the files being locked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to Bobxyzzy

I have just tested it in Dreamweaver CS6 on Windows 7, and the selected files were deleted successfully. When Dreamweaver is unable to delete files, it's usually caused by the operating system detecting that the file is in use by another program, such as a browser.

Without more details of the circumstances surrounding failure to delete, it's not possible to determine what might be causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Community Help

In our case it is CS6 Dreamweaver, on Mac OSX 10.7.4.

It seems to hapen sometimes and not others and I have been unable to identify an external factor that relates to it.

Was your test on files that are locked and residing on an off site server?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Bobxyzzy

Bobxyzzy wrote:

Was your test on files that are locked and residing on an off site server?

No. To the best of my knowledge, deleting files from an orphaned files report works only on local files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to David_Powers

Right.  My case is that the files live locally and are sync'ed up to the server.  I do some of the work on them and someone else does a lot of the routine content updating using Contribute where he edits and then they come to me for review and publish (which means they actually go up to the server into a holding area pending my OK I believe).  That means that the files appear locally as locked.  I check them out when working on the local copy, then I check them in.

After a Contribute update I sync the changes back to my local machine.  Then I check for unused files, delete ones (locally) that are no longer needed, and then I do an upload sync with delete in order to propogate the cleanup back to the server.  The local cleanup is where the delete I am having trouble with happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to David_Powers

I am trying to use this feature but it really does not seem to be reliable, I get files listed as being orphaned but if I make a sitewide search I can see that those files are actually being called in various other files .. so let's say dreamweaver list report.php as orphaned, if I make a search for report.php, I see it is being called and needed in many files , so how can it be seen as orphaned ?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:23 PM   in reply to valf

valf wrote:

so let's say dreamweaver list report.php as orphaned, if I make a search for report.php, I see it is being called and needed in many files

Called how?

The orphaned files report will find files called via HTML <link> tags and <a href...> but it will not find files embedded in Javascript calls or PHP (AFAIK).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to John Waller

Hi, thanks for the answer ....It seems to be this way !!! What a shame, I think this would be very usefull to include php in this feature !

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Community Help

Is there any way to make Dreamweaver exclude comments from link-checking. It's listing the file paths in my BBEdit "include" code, which is commented. Also, is there any way to have cloaked files excluded from link-checking? This seems like it should be the default, but DW doesn't even offer it as an option.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points