Skip navigation
bbilski
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 won't display RAW CR2 files for new Canon t4i

Jul 29, 2012 4:42 PM

Tags: #cs4 #raw #canon #cr2 #t4i

Thanks for taking the time to look and maybe help. I bought my wife a new Canon t4i to replace her XTI. I loaded the photos into Bridge and they show as generic CR2 img files. In addition they won't open in PS. I am able to import and view them fine in iPhoto. We have the latest updates in adobe products and Mac OSX (Mountian lion).

Is it possible CS4 won't support the new Canon T4I? I am I just waiting for a new patch? Any advice would be great!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 29, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to bbilski

Have you manually gone to the update site to see what is available for CS4?

All Adobe updates start here and select product, read to see if you need to install updates in number order, or if the updates are cumulative for the individual product http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to bbilski

Since CS4 is now 3 versions old (CS5 CS5.5 CS6) my best GUESS is that there will not be any updates... but since I don't work for Adobe, that is only a guess

Looks like you need to find a file converter, or shoot in JPG instead of RAW, or upgrade to CS6... which, of course, might mean a new 64bit computer (Oh... you are Mac... I have no idea how things work on that side of the aisle)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to bbilski

I would post to the Photoshop Forum, and ask about the compatibility of ACR with PS CS4. There is also an Adobe Camera RAW Forum, but not sure how active it is.

The support for newer cameras is the domain of ACR, and from time to time, compatibility with older versions of PS are often dropped.

One option would be to use the free Adobe DNG Converter.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to bbilski

Don't think there is going to be a patch for CS4.

Doesn't the camera come with some sort of software to convert the files to jpeg?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann,

You are correct. Photoshop CS4 will not see any updates. ACR (Adobe Camera RAW), the plug-in, is constantly being updated, but as it gets re-written, there are times, where older versions of PS can no longer use it. ACR has new camera RAW versions added with each upgrade, so if one buys a new camera, it might take an update to ACR, for that camera's files to be supported. That ACR update might, or might not, work with older versions of PS. ACR is written for the current version of PS, and once it progresses to the point, where an older version of PS cannot use it, support for it in that older version will not happen.

Three alternatives:

1. Upgrade PS to CS 6, and install the latest ACR
    2. Purchase the latest Lightroom version and install the latest ACR
    3. Download and install the free Adobe DNG converter, which does not rely on PS as a host, like ACR does

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points