Skip navigation
Hmmmm Cake
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to get the font Microsoft Yahei Regular AND Bold working in Indesign?

Jul 19, 2012 3:42 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5 #font_issue #microsoft_yahei

I have been using the Microsoft Yahei font (bold and regular) for alot of Chinese brochures and have had no trouble in Quark XPress. We have been converting everything we have to InDesign but I cannot get both weights of the font to work. If I remove the regular font from my mac, indesign will see recognise the bold font but it will not see both fonts at the same time. I have tried adding the fonts to the applications font folder but this does not help. The only solution I can think of is adding a 0.4 stroke to the regular font whenever I need the bold but this is not ideal. I have also tried looking for an alternative font to use but it appears that Microsoft Yahei is the best for chinese characters and english charcters and symbols such as the registerd mark and trademark symbol - but if anyone knows an alternative font that works and has a regular and bold weight please advise.

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 19, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to Hmmmm Cake

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 4:01 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Sorry I thought that had a solution but I don't see one on it - but it explains a few things

I'll keep looking

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Hmmmm Cake

What is the verion of the Indesign and OS you are on ?

Also are you using any font management software to manage your fonts ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to Hmmmm Cake

The blog post Eugene refers to may explain some of the reasons some fonts might not work, but not in this case!

InDesign CS4:

yahei.PNG

PDF:

yahei2.PNG

Can you check which version of these YaHei fonts you have? Both of mine are v.6.02 and came with Windows 7 -- if yours are the same, the problem lies in CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Version 6.02 seems to work OK here in CS5.5...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points