Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Laptop for use with Dreamweaver and Fireworks CS6 only

Jul 28, 2012 3:13 PM

Tags: #multiple #cs6 #drives #laptop_configuration

The spec shown in the hardware requirements for running CS6 on the Sales site seems to conflict greatly with what people are talking about on the hardware forum - (which  I cannot find it on the list with an option to post on it. so I have to ask the question here)

My laptop is reaching the end of its useful life, and I am looking at buying a new one. Currently I run CS5.5 on my desktop, as the laptop will not run it, so I thought that the new one should be capable of doing so and also CS6 in case I upgrade.

The official spec is :

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP* with Service Pack 3 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1
  • 2GB of RAM (3GB recommended) for 32 bit; 2GB of RAM (8GB recommended) for 64 bit

Talk on the hardware forum is of i7 processors and multiple hard drives being required to run CS6, together with Windows 7 professional and a minimum of 8GB ram.

I can see the need for 8GB ram, but multiple hard drives? In a laptop? I have never come across a laptop with space for more than one hard drive.

No doubt they exist, but my pocket would not run to such expense. I only use Dreamweaver and Fireworks, as all the other software supplied in the CS packages is never used and just takes up disk space.

Neither of these two programs overload my current desktop  (Intel dual core, win 7 professional 64 bit, 8 GB ram, 4 hard drives) even when run together with lots of other programs including a Linux server and MySQL.

They never access any drive other than C drive.

What is so special about CS6 that it needs extra drives?

So what is the minimum laptop spec and OS to run CS6 Dreamweaver and Fireworks now and again as part of the CS6 suite?

(Polite not for the forum Admin - The spell checker still does not understand Dreamweaver)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

The only Adobe Hardware forum I'm aware of is part of the Premiere forums

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=discuss ions

I can understand multiple hard drives being part of a video editing workflow.

However, any laptop currently on the market can comfortably run Dreamweaver CS6 and Fireworks CS6. No external hard drive necessary other than for backing up data files.

My current laptop (Dell XPS Studio) has similar specs to your current desktop and I run CS6 OK on it with the built-in (single) hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

I use a Desktop as my work box.  Get all the RAM and hard disk memory you can afford. 

Windows 7, 64-bit is necessary to run several of the CS6 products right now (Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects and Encore...)

In a year from now, I suspect Adobe will require 64-bit for all their products.  8GB of RAM is conservative.   If you do much work with graphics, you'll probably need more.

While I don't use Fireworks, I can tell you that Photoshop Extended is a big memory beast.  You need plenty of RAM memory, dedicated scratch disk drive (200 GB drive would be good) and a high quality graphics card.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to whatalotofrubbish

whatalotofrubbish wrote:

but not a Dell - they are terribly expensive in the UK - around $1600 as a starter

Which ones are you looking at?

These? http://www.dell.com/uk/p/laptops.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&ref=hpt2&s=d hs

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points