Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

clipping masks and transparent layers

Jul 29, 2012 8:18 PM

Tags: #transparent #clipping

i had a layer with text on it that was pretty transparent. if I cmd + click the layer i usually get a selection around the text, but somehow because of the transparency it selected very little of it, even though I can clearly see the letters very well.

then i tried adding a clipping mask above the transparent letter with a bit of color and the clipped layer would not eve show up. I had to unclip to see it.

is this normal behavior and why?

Replies
  • JJMack
    6,051 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 29, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

If the layer with the text and clipping mask has been rastersized and is not a text layer Ctrl|cmd+Click layer in layers palette loads the layers transparency as a selection and only pixels which have an opacity above 50% are outline with the marching ants. If you save the selection as a new alpha channel you can look in the channels palette to see the actuall selection.  You can also use Photoshop tools and adjustment on that alpha channel like a curves or levels adjustment to turn the gray areas white then cmd+click to load the adjusted channel as a selection.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,051 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to Eric Greenfield

Pixels are selected like a feathered selection I would think if you use a filter or adjustment the selected pixels with lower then 50% opacity will be adjusted also to a lesser extent

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points