Skip navigation
gmrmstudio
Currently Being Moderated

Dragging a mask to the trash applies it instead of deleting it

Jul 30, 2012 10:27 AM

Tags: #cs6 #masks

When I drag a layer mask to the trash, it applies the mask instead of deleting it, removing all masked out pixels. I don't believe this was the case before CS6. Is there a way to adjust this setting and make it simply delete the mask?

Right-clicking still gives me the option to delete the mask properly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 10:35 AM   in reply to gmrmstudio

Hi gmrmstudio

When you drag the mask to the trash can, you should be receiving a pop up window saying "Apply mask to layer before removing?". The options are apply, cancel, and delete.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to gmrmstudio

You should see the following dialogue unless you've previously ticked "Don't show again". I guess you ticked that when recently applying a mask.

Screen shot 2012-07-30 at 18.33.25.png

I don't know how to make the dialogue reappear, except by resetting the entire Photoshop preferences.

Edit: at bottom of Preferences > General is "Reset all warning dialogs". Maybe that'll bring back the dialogue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to gmrmstudio

If you previously lclicked "Don't show again" when recently applying a mask like conroy2009 said, you can reset your preferences and the dialogue window should show up again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to Sharon Huang

At bottom of Preferences > General is "Reset all warning dialogs". Maybe that'll bring back the dialogue without resetting all preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to gmrmstudio

You can also press the Alt (option) key while dragging the layer mask to the trash can to bypass the dialog and delete the mask without apply.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points