Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

Use ACR 6.7 Chromatic Aberration Removal Tool with ACR 7.1 installed

Jul 30, 2012 11:35 AM

Tags: #acr_6.7 #adobe_camera_raw_6.7 #acr_7.1 #chromatic_aberraion #ca_removal #chromatic_aberration_removal #adobe_camera_raw_7.1

I want to be able to use the ACR 6.7 Chromatic Aberration removal tool with PS CS6 and ACR 7.1 installed.

I have PS CS5 and CS6, but only CS6 installed at this time. The new Chromatic Aberration removal tool in ACR 7.1 does not always suit me. The problem is that to remove the purple fringing, however it also removes the purple color in the many, many purple flowers in the shot. So, it's pretty much worthless. I want to use ACR 6.7's CA removal tool, but how can I go about doing that?

Also, the CA Removal tool in Photoshop CS5 or 6 is not to my liking. Not only is it quirky, but it also causes me to add an extra 335 MB layer, since I am editing a scanned medium format transparency. Using ACR will not add 335 megabytes to the file size.

So, I'm asking if there's a way to have CS6 installed with ACR 7.1 and still use the CA tool of ACR 6.7. I thought that reverting back to ACR "2010" would work, but it only shows me the 6.7 features of the main tab (maybe others), not the 6.7 version of the CA tab.

Thanks,

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to chicagonature

chicagonature wrote:

I want to be able to use the ACR 6.7 Chromatic Aberration removal tool with PS CS6 and ACR 7.1 installed.

You can't...the old tool is no longer part of the code.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to chicagonature

If you want to use the manual sliders, you will need to install CS5 & ACR 6.6. The manual sliders were removed in ACR 6.7.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to chicagonature

Actually, you just need to go get the proper Camera Raw versions and set up a scheme for swapping out the plug-in files as needed.  Are you on Mac or PC?  If the latter I can advise how to do it.

You are not alone in thinking that they should have retained the old method along with adding the new.  There have been several threads on the subject graphically showing how the results aren't as good as with the old tool.

Camera Raw has always been about giving the user ultimate control over image development, yet now we see Photoshop Elements-like automatic fixit features taking over for features that offered better control.

That's not to say the new algorithms can't work pretty well - they work great when the data is good enough for them to sense CA, but for really egregious color fringing the old way can be employed in extreme ways the new algorithms can't match.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 30, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to chicagonature

Photoshops CS5 and CS6 access their Camera Raw plug-ins from here:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

If you have a 64 bit Windows system, the above two locations will be where the 64 bit plug-ins will be kept, and the following will be where you'll find the 32 bit plug-ins:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

You can download specific versions of Camera Raw updates from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform =Windows

Rather than follow their instructions for installation, what you need to do is download them, open up the zip files, and drill down into the files in subfolders and nested zip files until you find the several very large resources the packages contain.  They aren't named Camera Raw.8bi, but rather something like 1002.  You'll be able to identify whether the resource file is the 32 or 64 bit Camera Raw.8bi by its path.  For example, this is the 64 bit Camera Raw.8bi in the Camera Raw 6.7 update package:

1002.jpg

Copy (unzip) the numbered files out and save them including the version number in a way that you'll be able to see what version they are.  Copy your existing Camera Raw.8bi files to one that contains the version info as well.

Here's what's in my Photoshop CS6 File Formats folder, for example, so that I can choose 7.0, 7.1, or even the 7.1 release candidate:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats>dir

Volume in drive C is C - NoelC4 SSD
      Volume Serial Number is 00ED-C11E

Directory of C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats

05/30/2012  10:18 AM    <DIR>          .
      05/30/2012  10:18 AM    <DIR>          ..
      02/09/2012  05:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi
      02/09/2012  05:02 AM        23,220,080 Camera Raw.8bi_7.0
      05/16/2012  11:05 AM        24,639,896 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1
      04/25/2012  01:25 AM        23,401,328 Camera Raw.8bi_7.1RC

4 File(s)     94,481,384 bytes
                   2 Dir(s)  1,120,504,311,808 bytes free

All you have to do when you want to use a different version is to make sure Photoshop is closed, then copy the appropriate version numbered file to Camera Raw.8bi.

This is complicated a bit by the fact that you're wanting to use two different major versions of Photoshop, and I don't know if you want to be able to do this for both 32 and 64 bit variants, but the concepts are all here.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

If I understand you correctly, you are not suggesting one can actually partially adjust a raw file in a given version of ACR and then take that raw file with its adjustments into a different version of ACR for further adjustments, are you?

I don't think so, but I just want to make doubly sure that neither you nor I have gone off our respective rockers. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to chicagonature

You put the ACR 7.x in the CS6 place(s), and ACR 6.6 OR ACR 6.7 in the CS5 spot(s), then running PS-CS5 or PS-CS6 depending on whether ACR 6.x or ACR 7.x is needed.

When you are renaming the ACR6.x’s, you should remove the .8bi from the one you don’t want to use.  It will find plug-ins in subfolders and the exact filename doesn’t necessarily matter.

For example, I might have 6.7 installed with the following two filenames in the plug-ins folder:  Camera Raw.8bi and Camera Raw66_8bi.bak.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:41 PM   in reply to chicagonature

7.1 works with CS6, it won’t work with CS5, if that’s what you meant.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Noel,

If I understand you correctly, you are not suggesting one can actually partially adjust a raw file in a given version of ACR and then take that raw file with its adjustments into a different version of ACR for further adjustments, are you?

No.  But you can swap versions of ACR and do entire conversions with them.

I have found I prefer conversions from Camera Raw 7.0 with Photoshop CS6 myself, and doing comparitive testing was made easier by the ability to swap back and forth (vs. using two different systems).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to chicagonature

chicagonature wrote:

Noel,

Is this what you're saying:

For Photoshop CS6 with Version 7.1 already installed:

1. Copy the existing Camera Raw.8bi (V7.1) in the ...>Plugins>CS6>File Formats folder and to a folder named, say, ACR Versions and rename the file to Camera Raw_7.1.8bi.
    2. Download ACR 6.5, find the 1002 file, rename it Camera Raw_6.5.8bi, and copy it to the ACR Versions folder.
    3. Download ACR 6.7, find the 1002 file, rename it Camera Raw_6.7.8bi, and copy it to the ACR Versions folder.
    4. Only one camera raw .8bi file can be in the ...>Plugins>CS6>File Formats folder.
    5. Then, when I want to use, say, Version 6.5, I simply copy the Camera Raw_6.5.8bi into the ...>Plugins>CS6>File Formats folder and remove any other .8bi file in there.

Mike

Close, but the sensitivity Photoshop has is to the .8bi file extension, so not quite.

Use the naming scheme I showed above, where the _version is after the file extension, then you can keep the files in the same folder for easy management.

I use a COPY command in a CMD window to do the replacement when I do it.  The command sequence goes like this:

CD "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS6\File Formats"

COPY "Camera Raw.8bi_7.0" "Camera Raw.8bi"

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to chicagonature

I think it must be using the one in that folder.  But keep in mind that there are 32 and 64 bit plug-ins in separate folders, as I mentioned above.  Could you have swapped the plug-in file for 64 bits, but be running the 32 bit Bridge?

Also keep in mind that, depending on configuration settings, Bridge starts when you start your system and just keeps running in the background.  You'll need to make sure it's fully closed before expecting it to pick up a different plug-in (which on Windows is just a DLL by another name).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to chicagonature

Actually, Bridge in Photoshop CS5 and earlier was ONLY a 32 bit app, so yes, you'll need to manage files in both the 32 and 64 bit folders.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:23 PM   in reply to chicagonature

CS5 Bridge is running as a 32-bit application...CS6 Bridge can run as 64-bit. So, if you open ACR hosted in CS5 Bridge, you'll be running whatever version of ACR is in the 32-bit location. If you open ACR in the 64-bit version of Photoshop then it'll launch using ACR from the 64-bit location.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points