Skip navigation
System Administrator
Currently Being Moderated

layers in layer palette are disappearing making this unusable

Jul 25, 2012 10:10 PM

Tags: #illustrator #layers #cs6

I have a document with over 100 layers in it ...which is pretty normal for what we do and Illustrator in CS6 has a big issue with the layer palette .....as you scroll down the palette the layer names disappear ...as you run the mouse over the layers they re-appear and then disappear again ...this issue makes the software useless as I can't see the layers  .....this happens on all the documents I've been working on ....anybody getting the same thing and anybody go any ideas of how to fix this or is it Adobe's issue?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 25, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to System Administrator

Good that you have given all this inforamtion aboiut your system and stuff like that but if you wnt to vent it is important you state so and if you wish help you have to give us enough info so we can respond intelligently and make suggestions.

But off hand I will repeat what I repeated about  100 times in the lat two months.

Do you have plugins, have you loaded new fonts, free fonts, have you trashed your preferences, have you conflicting software installed, did you update any software recently have you upgraded non Adobe software lately and have you repaired your permissions.

And the most important question is why are you using software that is unuseable?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 10:54 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I just made document and made 1053 layers and have no problem scrolling them.

You have a corruption and or a conflict. And don't blame me just pointing you in the right direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 11:22 PM   in reply to System Administrator

153 layers no problems. that was a typo.

YThe answer to solving your problem is in my first posting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to System Administrator

Try increasing the width of the layers panel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 2:25 AM   in reply to Anish Kumar

Can't replicate the issue here.

Operating System?

Layer panel options?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to System Administrator

We are having the same layer panel problems in Illustrator CS6 on two systems in our office. Both are brand new Macs running OS X 10.7.4. I have tried repairing user permissions, changing Layer Panel options, resizing Layer Panel, etc.

Layer thumbnails and names dissapear. Layer tool icons (new layer, delete layer, etc.) dissappear. Sometimes they reappear when moused over.

Really frustrating. There must be a solution to this.

layerpallet.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 11:37 AM   in reply to Crisper_68

Do you have Font Expolere X ?

Heard that there are couple of issues with the new update though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

No, we are using Suitcase Fusion 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

I've discovered that it only happens when I make one layer a Template layer. Everything is fine until I make any of the layers a Template, then, instantly the layer names and thumbnails dissappear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

Dis you read what I wrote in Post #1

Now you know why I also wrote that I have rerpeated this a hundred times before.

all you have to do is read iut then follow up on it and you will solve your problem.

Do you have plugins, have you loaded new fonts, free fonts, have you trashed your preferences, have you conflicting software installed, did you update any software recently have you upgraded non Adobe software lately and have you repaired your permissions.

I say you have conflicting software install in some form or the other it could be a plug in and update or third party software. Do what you have to do and you will not only solve your problem but you will also find the source of the problem.

In the last two months situation where to the user it appeared to be a bug it has turned out to be conflicting software at least 6 times and this will be the seventh time.

You know what you installed or updated we do not know.

I rrun the same system you have and it does not happen here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Really, Wade, your condescending tone is unnecessary. You should ask yourself if you come to this forum to actually be helpful or to belittle others and feel superior.

But just to humor you...

I have already trashed my preferences, repaired permissions and updated all Adobe software. There has been no new software or fonts installed since installing CS6. The only plug-in used is Extensis Sutcase Fusion 4 Font Auto Activation and I have uninstalled that with no effect on the problem.

We have four systems running all of the same software and os. Two of them have this problem and two of them don't.

Obviously, this is not an isolated case. I'm looking for someone who has had this problem and fixed it or would have a more helpful suggestion.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

I was being condensending you gave no information abou your system how is anyone to know if you are serious or if you are just ranting.

To point out what i mean after several dayus you are still asking trhe same question has anyone else experience this problem and has the solution. I gave you the best advise it is a conflict as simple as that, you do not like the answer I can't do anything about your reaction.

I am giving you sound advice from expereince dealing with these matters and not to brag I have help a lot of people overcome their own issues so they can say hey I was wrong and thank me.

Not all of them thank me and when you find out that i am correct nbeither will you and I know that from experience as well.

Since you do not want my help fine I hope you work it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

Crisper_68 wrote:

I have already trashed my preferences, repaired permissions and updated all Adobe software. There has been no new software or fonts installed since installing CS6. The only plug-in used is Extensis Sutcase Fusion 4 Font Auto Activation and I have uninstalled that with no effect on the problem.

I don't spend a lot of time in Illustrator, and I'm a windows useres, but humor me for a moment. The kind of problem you describe is very often caused by corrupt prefs, and Suitcase is very often associated with odd behavior over in InDesign where I am active.

Did you really remove the Suitcase plugin, or just deactivate it? Deactivation may not be sufficient. And did you also trash the prefs again after removing the plugin?

Do you have the same problem if you create a new user account and use that?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

Like Crisper_68 said, this only happen when you have a Template layer. I have seen this myself on all my Illustrator installation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Did you really remove the Suitcase plugin, or just deactivate it? Deactivation may not be sufficient. And did you also trash the prefs again after removing the plugin?

Do you have the same problem if you create a new user account and use that?

Thanks Peter, I know that Suticase can be buggy. I've completely removed the plug-in and trashed the preferences again after removing. Problem still exists.

I haven't tried a new user account yet, but, if I have time, I'll try to do that and do a fresh install of Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Crisper_68

Interesting that Scott doesn't see this, but Jean-Claude does. Hard to call that a bug, but tough to tell waht might be the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ok, just tried it with a new user account and the palette worked correctly.

That still doesn't help me, though, as I'm not going to switch everything to a new user account, I've got too much built into this one. I still need to pinpoint WHAT is causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Crisper_68

I understand that perfectly. What you've established, though is that the user account is corrupt in some way and it isn't abug in the program itself.

Obviously trashing the prfs was not enough by itself. Ove in ID John Hawkinson has made a list of additional files on the Mac to trash when pregs are not enough (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315274) and I'b bet there are similar files for Illy. You might want to try killing those next.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks Peter. The info in that thread looked promising, but...

I trashed the following files:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.Illustrator

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings

~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Illustrator.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Illustrator.plist.lockfile

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.Illustrator.savedState

Restarted.

No luck. Problem still exists.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

Please remember I 'm out of my comfort zone here, but you could try making a backup copy of the current user library, then repalce it with the one from the new account.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hmmm... I was unsuccessful in replacing one user library file with another. OS X Lion doesn't allow that, as far as I can tell. Unless someone has info on how to do that....

I still don't know how that would help me find the solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 9:44 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

I can't  help you but there are several users contributing to this thred tht should know how to guide you to replacing the file that Lion is preventing you from replacing.

It's a fairly simple procedure you can do a search if you want on how to do this. But as I say I can't directly help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Replacing the user library directory isn't a viable solution anyway. That would just hose all of my preferences for everything else on my system. I might as well start from scratch with a new user and I've already stated that that is not a possibility. We've already established that it is something within my user account that is causing this glitch. The question is, what?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

In leu of creating a new user account, you could restore from a solid backup if you have one.

Other than that option, I don't know what else to tell you other than to create a new user account and use Apple's migration Assistant to move as much as possible tot eh new user account.

Trying to find a problem deep in a user account is a fool's errand in my experience. Start over and deal with it, you'll lose less time (and sleep).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

I was suggesting, though perhaps not clearly, that you replace only the Illustrator section, since that isn't working anyway (and you might be able to limit it to just CS6). As you must have figured out by now, it isn't easy to determine just which file (or files) are causing the problem. I think if anyone knew, they'd have mentioned it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to [scott w]

It would be easier just to live with the problem and not use template layers until the final save of my projects than to try to create a new user account. I'm not willing to nuke all of my preferences to fix it.

I just wanted to keep this thread visible since there are others who are having this problem. Maybe someone else will have better luck pinpointing the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

I didn't realize Crisper was not the OP inn that ca se you log inn as the root to replace the file. But is risky if make a mistake.

Also be alert to trashing the com.adobe.Illustrator.plist alongwith theh setting fholder and cleaning the personal cache and font cache files it looks to me to be a corrupt cache file.

I will post the location of those files later tonight.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to System Administrator

Look like you have corrupted fonts.Validate fonts "Tahoma" on Win and "LucidaGrande" on Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to System Administrator

On the first layer with a missing name double click on the thumbnail. In the layer options make sure "print" is checked. This should make all the layers visable again.

Still having other issues with illustrator after seeing this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to colling_s

colling_s wrote:

Look like you have corrupted fonts.Validate fonts "Tahoma" on Win and "LucidaGrande" on Mac.

LucidaGrande isn't on my system (Mac). I even went back to my install disk and reinstalled the fonts and that wasn't one of them.

I agree that it is probably a font issue, because when you make a layer a template, the layer name in the palette switches to italic and that's what's not showing up (although it also makes the thumbnails and tool icons in the palette disappear).

Anyone know what font that is?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to culverbd

culverbd wrote:

On the first layer with a missing name double click on the thumbnail. In the layer options make sure "print" is checked. This should make all the layers visable again.

Well, yes, because by doing that, you are turning off the template layer. That doesn't stop them from disappearing when you make a template layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to Crisper_68

Crisper_68 wrote:

LucidaGrande isn't on my system (Mac). I even went back to my install disk and reinstalled the fonts and that wasn't one of them.

That may be your issue entirely.

Lucida Grande is the primary font the Mac OS uses to draw windows. All Mac OSX versions require that font.

System/Library/Fonts... if it's not there, you've got issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I stand corrected... Lucida Grande is in my system fonts. Not sure why I didn't find it when I searched for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Crisper_68

Had the same issue. Re-installed Illustrator. Problem solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to Crisper_68

Lucida Grande is required font. You may try scipting to access all the fonts.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to dodololo

dodololo wrote:

Had the same issue. Re-installed Illustrator. Problem solved.

Just tried re-installing. Didn't solve the problem for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Crisper_68

When you uninstalled, did you select the option to remove the prefs?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points