Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Captivate 6 and Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion Fatal Error

Jul 28, 2012 9:22 PM

Tags: #fatal_error_message #mac_mountain_lion

When I attempt to create a new project, I immediately get a message: "A fatal error has occured and the application is being terminated." Is anyone else having this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 1:39 PM   in reply to Frank7600

Yes. Just downloaded the demo (wanted to try it out before buying - glad I did). I open the app, click blank project, the user interface comes up (looks like a slide with editable text boxes) and crash. Same error as you got.

Really would like to purchase this - but I need to see it work first.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to Frank7600

Thanks. Just read this on Adobe.com. I guess Captivate isnt part of CS, but I would have thought in all the Mountain Lion testing they did, they would have at least opened some other apps.

Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Suite® 5, 5.5 and CS6 editions and individual products for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8). Earlier versions of Adobe Photoshop® (CS3 and CS4) software were also tested with Mountain Lion and there are currently no known issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to jagould2000

Hi there

Indeed, many folks confuse the issue by writing "Captivate CS6" and the issue there is that Captivate has never been part of the Creative Suite line of products.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to Frank7600

Yes. Same for me. This is really terrible. Had I not read Adobe's claim that all CS6 products worked with Mountain Lion, I wouldn't have upgraded. I thought it was part of CS6 since the new version follows the "6" numbering scheme. Adobe should have been more explicit in their Mountain Lion note. I'm screwed for now.

P.S. It looks like this bug is only in Captivate 6; 5.5 can create a new blank project, at least. I'm going to have to try working with 5.5 until Adobe steps up here.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 4:25 AM   in reply to robbyberman

Hi,

Can you try deleteing Captivate preferences and try working on Captivate.

How to delete preferences:

1. Run the below "CleanPreferencesMac" program from terminal,
    2. which is located in Utils folder inside installed location.

Still captivate crashes even after deleting preferences, please send us the crash dump created under root (/) folder to below mail id.

mathkyar@adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to NarutoCaptivate

Hi,

This does not fix the problem. I'm sending what I think is the crash log to

the provided email address. (I don't know what "under root (/) folder"

means; I'm not a programmer.)

Also, since some people are having this problem using the demo—and

therefore don't already have Captivate preferences—corrupted preferences

are obviously not the issue.

Robby

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Frank7600

I just experienced this same error—ssemingly—when working in an already-created project when I selected to display the Themes panel. I've sent the crash log to the same email address to which I sent the earlier crash log.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to robbyberman

I think I've figured this out. It has nothing to do with Mountain Lion, since both platforms are experiencing this problem.

The issue, for me, was apparently a corrupted user font database or cache. I moved all of the fonts out of my user Fonts folder and restarted Captivate 6—I was able to create a new blank project without crashing for the first time. Little by little, I added all of my fonts back in, relaunching Captivate over and over and trying to create a new project, all without problems. Even when all of my fonts were back in place, Captivate successfully created a new project.

All I can figure is that when I first removed all the fonts, a new, uncorrupted font database or cache was created, solving the problem.

Hope this helps.

Robby

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 12:09 PM   in reply to robbyberman

Robby, thanks so much for posting. I did the font thing and now my new Captivate 6 will open a blank doc. I appreciate your tip! I was ready to throw the laptop out the window

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to mindiz

I'm glad this worked for you, too. This suggests that any of the font-cache cleaning apps like Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner or Cocktail might fix this, too, at least on the Mac.

I wonder if Adobe's made note of this solution yet, and if they have anything to say.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points