Skip navigation
Steve836
Currently Being Moderated

How to make Encore use all my fonts

Jul 20, 2012 10:52 AM

Hi,

Encore CS5 isn't giving me access to all the fonts I have installed on my PC. How can I force it to let me use everything I have, please?

For example, when importing a text file for subtitles, I get a choice of which fonts I want to use, but the list doesn't include most of the foreign language ones.

Specifically, I want to use an Arial font that is like a universal font that has characters for a whole host of foreign languages, plus a variety of fonts for Chinese, Arabic, Korean, etc. (I have downloaded various language sets from Microsoft.)

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers,

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 22, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Steve836

This is purely a guess but perhaps only certain fonts are allowed for DVD subtitles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Steve836

Most Adobe programs are very sensitive to fonts, how they are written, and if they are corrupt in any way.

Going back some years, another user had some Asian fonts, and had to find replacements for those. It took her some time, but when she did install those from a well-known foundry, everything worked fine. It was just a matter of the exact fonts, that she had originally used.

Hope that it is as simple as that, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to Steve836

Steve,

I tried looking back, to see if I could find the discussion on Asian fonts, that plagued the other user, and also looked at my older e-mails, since we corresponded away from the forums, in trying to troubleshoot. I could only find the old "Chinese Fonts" folder, but by now, it is empty. As I had not bought those fonts, but did test with them, I assume that I just deleted them, when the person found some that worked for her. Wish that I had more to offer, than trying to remember what worked for her, maybe 4 years ago.

Good luck.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to Steve836

Steve,

You are talking way, way above my head here:

I'm not sure about this, but I think the problem could be using, for example, a Traditional Chinese font to save something written in Simplified Chinese.

However, I will buy your theory, as I certainly cannot refute it.

Back with the other Asian font situation, the OP rather held my hand on some of it, and furnished me with test Text to use. At this late date, I cannot recall if she was even in En, PrPro, or most likely Photoshop (maybe even Illustrator?). In her case, I found a foundry that offered another version of the font that she was trying to use, and that worked perfectly for her. It boiled down to the foundry, and their version of the font being written better, at least with regards to the Adobe program, that she was using.

Still looking for any correspondence with her (thought that I had some of that in my Adobe folder?), to at least find out what worked, and from whom. It might also be useful if I could recall the exact program, that she was using. However, you only care about Encore, and its handling of the particular fonts. If I find that, and it has anything of possible use, I will post it here.

Best of luck, and if you DO track down the solution, please post back with that solution, as it will help others in the future.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points