Skip navigation

Help! Photoshop CS6 hangs when using brush, clone, healing brush tools etc on Mac

May 27, 2012 1:03 AM

Latest reply: Fried Egg Sandwich, Apr 12, 2014 5:15 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 20, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to bcmorrison99

No iCal here.  Just Safari, iChat, Spotify and, if it counts as an app, the google notifier...

[edit] and possibly Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to bcmorrison99

Nevermind, I got it to hang without ical running. And just for the record, I have none of the apps running that Jesseham does ... is it likely that this isn't an issue related to any other specific application?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

I just experienced a hangup with only Bridge and Photoshop running. It was cleared by the window dance described earlier. It is important to note that the first touch of the Wacom pen was detected but dragging was not done. This problem is so random that I would be looking for a race condition associated with preparing to track dragging. Since I was not interacting with Bridge at the time, I suspect it was idle. Bridge was used to bring an image into Photoshop. I performed two curve adjustments and then activated an action to perform localized midtone contrast. That action selected a brush tool for me. Before using it, I resized it using the control-option on-screen mechanism. The first brush stroke caused the hangup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to AllynSar

I finely found a hang that I could repeat everytime. After making a selection with the Magic Wand and then going to Lasso I could get it to hang everytime and not be able to do anything in PS for 5 to 10 seconds.

http://www.dypinc.com/Photoshop_Hang_on_Lasso.txt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Was DYP

How are you switching tools?  (I tried keys, mouse, and tablet)

What sort of document?  (I tried 8.5x11 300dpi RGB 8 bit)

A screen recording might help.

(we still can't reproduce this -- there's some variable missing)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Hi Adam Jerugim, I have an issue too with the Intuos 3 in Illustrator cs6, its like some kind of lagging or delay of a second whike while dragging when using the wacom pen grip tool.

Have otther people experimented the same that you know..????

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to BarneyHamilton

Nope, we haven't been able to repeat the problem.

There is some factor that we're missing - something that you're doing, or something on your system that differs from most systems.

We need to know that missing factor to reproduce it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to BarneyHamilton

We might do something like that, but after the July holidays.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 11:03 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

This is also happening to me. I use a wacom tablet. it seams to happen more when i make a quick mask. it also seems that in lion when it happens i go to mission control and click on the desktop that has my photoshop document. and then click on the direct selection tool and that seems to knock it out of its stuper a little faster, but could be just me giving myself something to do while it happens

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Brandman

Because of this bug I really don't use Photoshop CS6 anymore, but I had it opened by accident when I went to do some background removal today. Almost every time I made a selection with the Wand tool then did a Expand and Contract to eliminate small pin ***** areas and then choose the Lasso tool PS would hang as soon as I tried to use it. If I walked off and let it set for 5 minutes it still would not come back. The only way to get PS back was to click back and forth on the desktop a number of times. This is not a workable solution so this why I use PSCS5 to get real work done, but I though I would do a search to see if there have been solutions to this issue and could not seem to find any.  I have the latest Wacom driver (released 7-11-12) installed.

So has anyone found any conflicts that cause this hang? I gave up testing this hang because I could never find any consistency in these hangs. Even today it would do this 7 of 10 times when doing the exact same thing.

CS5 has no hangs like this at all on the same system, so why does CS6 have this bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Was DYP

I can't correlate this behavior to any other specific application, and I'm not sure that would mean anything - if you look at the whole discussion here, there was another user who mentioned what apps he had running and the list had no overlap with mine. So we're not looking at any specific outside culprit. Is there any real point for me, personally, figuring out that it's only "Application X" that causes this to happen (indeed, if there is anything specific one at all that causes it), only to have another user say it's Application Y, and another Application Z?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to bcmorrison99

Are we any closer to resolving this issue? Any updates greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to Fried Egg Sandwich

Same problems here. Lasso tool just freezes and when I hit Esc it allows me to use other tools. Have similar issues with dodge and burn tools hanging for 5 or more minutes. Using Wacom tablet. Really frustrating. Adobe? These issues make it really tough to use the app and be productive.

Help?

g

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to geigreg

I hope that Adobe hasn't given up on following this thread ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to bcmorrison99

We haven't given up and FWIW I'd still really like to figure this one out.  I was out of the office on vacation and now that I'm back at work I'm ready to re-engage here.

I have one other thing I'd like someone to try (as we continue to gather data to try to resolve this).  Try reducing the overall memory allocated to PS from the default (60-80%) to under 2GB.  Does the problem still occur?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to bcmorrison99

I'm working around it by selecting another app then back into PS a couple of times and it unlocks as suggested above. I also try to use the mouse before using the pen if I've been out of PS as this also seemed to be a cause. I've ordered a new tablet (I am currently using an intuos 3) to see if that fixes it and will get back with results in a couple of days when it arrives. I now find myself trying to find other apps to use instead of PS for quickie jobs but invariably they just frustrate me and the job takes far longer! I do hope we get a fix soon... are you listening adobe?... hello...  hellooo!

Ah. I see Adam returned while I was typing...

I'll try the 2gb thing

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

reduced it to 2000mb and didn't get the problem although as it's intermittent with me I'm not sure that's necessarily conclusive - turned it back to 6gb and didn't get the issue either - I'll leave it at just under 2gb for a while and see if issue returns...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to sean b99

I'm fairly certain it is a Wacom issue. I turned on my Apple mouse and grabbed the lasso and it worked right away. Went back to my stylus and all has been good, at least with lasso. Will try dodge and burn shortly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 4:15 PM   in reply to sean b99

sean b99 wrote:

I now find myself trying to find other apps to use instead of PS for quickie jobs but invariably they just frustrate me and the job takes far longer! I do hope we get a fix soon... are you listening adobe?... hello...  hellooo!

Ah. I see Adam returned while I was typing...

I'll try the 2gb thing

Well I have to use PSCS5 to get most of my work done if I need to use the tools that have these delays in PSCS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to BarneyHamilton

I was using an Intuos 3 at the start of this thread, since then I've upgraded to an Intuos 5 (lovely by the way) and still have the hanging issue. Tried the tablet via USB and wifi, neither of which made a difference to the hanging.

This seems to be worse on larger/more complictad images. I'm currently working on an illustration of around 500mb with 100+ layers, nearly every time a tool is selected = hang.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to Fried Egg Sandwich

I'm working almost exclusively on web resolution files so I don't think it is necessarily byte-related. Sorry to hear the Intuos 5 didn't help. I was considering that as an option!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to geigreg

I experience the hang with no Wacom drivers at all. I do use Usb overdrive

though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Jesseham

USB Overdrive hasn't been updated since 2009 so this might just be out of date software doing stuff under the hood which it shouldn't be - it might not be related to this issue. I'm interested to hear what device you are using with PS though, is it a mouse, trackball?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to sean b99

It's a logitech mouse.  M510, if it matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 7:17 PM   in reply to Jesseham

Did a new partition clean install of ML and CS5 and CS6. PSCS6 is now very resposive and I have not seen any hangs form any tools and selecting tools works correctly without having to click on the image twice. Same Wacom table and driver that I had loaded in 10.6.8.

Lightroom 4 is a whole lot faster too. So far 10.8 is the best OS yet from Apple, but I am keeping a close eye to see if anything gets added that will cause the hangs in PS again.

The icon bug in PSCS6 is still there though and deleting .DS_store files fixes the finder icon but not in PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to BarneyHamilton

We're still actively working on trying to figure out the cause/solution to this.  If anyone is game to try some test builds for me, contact me directly at my first initial+last name at adobe dot com.

Thanks!

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

I'm having the same problem. I used the brush tools a lot when I'm masking layers. Photoshop CS6 (on Mac) freezes for around a minute at the most inconvenient moments.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to clust75

Any news about this being addressed in 13.0.1? Please please please let it be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to Fried Egg Sandwich

It did not for me.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 7, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to Fried Egg Sandwich

FYI the build date of the actual code in 13.0.1 was August 8, 2012.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 7:04 AM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

You know this sounds somewhat similar to what I see happen all the time in CS5 as well. I'll open a document and attempt to drag something into another document, but will get a 'document locked' or some such warning, and switching  to the desktop and back fixes it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

Hi Adam, is there any updated progress on this?

I've been experiencing this issue frequently on both my machines running PS CS6 (both with Wacom tablets).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to Max W.

I do happen to have an update

We have some users who have reported the following:

Tonight I disabled the middle button for Ps in Wacom prefs and I've been able to actually use the brush for a whole 30 minutes now without a hang!

Please give this a try and report back if it helps.

Thanks,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Adam Jerugim

I have seen this hang on 2 machines now, neither of which has the wacom drivers (or tablet) installed.  One aging iMac (8,1) and one more recent powerbook.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Jesseham

and fwiw, the middle button on the mighty mouse was disabled on the powerbook.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (3)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points