Skip navigation
ndtking
Currently Being Moderated

Saturation changes after tonemapping

Jul 31, 2012 4:16 AM

Tags: #color #cs6 #saturation #hdr_pro

Does anyone know why this is happening?

For quite a while I have been using the Photoshop HDR for initial processing of my HDR shots. My workflow is to "open in HDR Pro in Photoshop" from Lightroom. With LR 3.x and CS5 there was no problem - make the initial tonemapping settings in CS5, hit "OK", and save the resultant TIF back to lightroom for further processing.

With LR 4.1 I do the same thing, the files import into CS6 and the tonemapping window comes up, but after I hit OK in the tonemapping window, the resultant tonemapped TIF file is oversaturated(This still in CS6). It needs about 30 points of saturation reduction in LR to get it back to what it showed in the tonemapping window.

Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone know why this is happening?

I have colour gamut set for Pro Photo RGB in both LR and PS.

I can show some screen captures later - I'm not at my home computer right now.

Gerald King

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to ndtking

Does viewing at 100% (Actual Pixels) make this behave more predictably?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to ndtking

Same here, but decreasing the saturation by 30 still doesn't get me anywhere near the preview. What's the preview worth if the result is something entriely different?! The HDR feature is pretty unusable like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to ndtking

I am having the same problem.  I was hopping to find some answers on the forum, but so far no luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to Nevada Shooter

Nice !! great you write . thanks you

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to Nevada Shooter

I am also having the same problem here. I have contacted Adobe and asked for a patch, but this one seems to be lower on the food chain of things needed to get patched. Hopefully somebody will figure this out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -

Jack

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to JackSnidas

After writing my comment here, I found something elsewhere on the forum that suggested that the problem was that color profile of the input files and the workspace in Photoshop are different.  I found that to be true in my case.  The RAW files in Lightroom 4 are probably being converted to TIFFs as they are sent to Merge to HDR Pro.  In any case, they are being sent with the same color profile they had in Lightroom, which in my case is is ProPhoto RGB.  When HDR Pro sends its results to Photoshop, it converts the output to the same color space that Photoshop is set to. I have Photoshop set to sRGB, because that is what most monitors and printers use, and I do my final work in Photoshop.  As a result, I was seeing something quite different in Photoshop than what I say in HDR Pro.  I found two ways to deal with this.  First, set the color profile in Photoshop to be the same as the input files, or Lightroom if that is where they come from.  The second method is to bring the files into Photoshop as TIFFs and convert them to the working color space that Photoshop uses and then from the File menu choose Automate and from the menu that pops up, choose Merge to HDR Pro.  I have had good results using both methods.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Nevada Shooter

Nevada Shooter, where did you find the default settings for colour space in Lightroom and Photoshop? In Photoshop CS6, I cannot find any such setting. And in Lightroom 4.3, the only setting I can find it associated with the "edit in external applications" function, which is currently set to sRGB for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to dg9ngf

dg9ngf wrote:

In Photoshop CS6, I cannot find any such setting.

Edit > Color Settings... Working Spaces: RGB

And in Lightroom 4.3, the only setting I can find it associated with the "edit in external applications" function

I guess you mean in Preferences > External Editor, which is where you set the profile for files being sent to Photoshop CS6 and the profile for files being sent to an additional editor.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to dg9ngf

To set the default color profile in Photoshop CS6, go to Edit>Color Settings.  In the dialog box that opens: set Settings to Custom, in the group of settings called Working Spaces set RGB to the color profile you want.  In the Color Management Policies you can tell Photoshop if you want it to automatically convert incoming files to the color space you specified above, or if to ask you first.  In Lightroom you set the output color space by going to Edit>Preferences>External Editing.  You cannot set the working color space.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 2:08 AM   in reply to Nevada Shooter

It's all set to sRGB already. Also, in Lightroom, I can configure for Photoshop and the additional editor, but not the HDR shortcut. Which setting will it use?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2013 12:46 PM   in reply to dg9ngf

While your are working in HDR Pro it seems to use the color space of the  input file.  When you leave HDR Pro to work in Photoshop it will assign the workspace color space to the new file.  Assigning is not the same as converting.  It does not change the color coordinates, but interprets them using the assigned colorspace.  This will often cause problems which is why you either want the colorspace of the input files to match the workspace, or make the conversion before going into HDR Pro.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points