Skip navigation
Wouldja
Currently Being Moderated

Mountain Lion and Image Processor

Jul 26, 2012 8:37 PM

Tags: #mountain_lion #cs6-image_processor

Found out on a brand new install of Mountain Lion and Adobe Photoshop CS6 that Image processor will not save any othe images processed.  Anybody else have this problem or anyone test this out for me??  Also is there a work around to this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 26, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to Wouldja

Well, you adopted Mountain Lion on the very first day it became available.  Talk about early adopters! 

Apple doesn't seem to get new major versions of OS X right until about the sixth dot-dot release.  That's why Lion wasn't and isn't reliable even at 10.7.4. 

I'm sticking to Tiger 10.4.11 on my main Power Mac and have rigged a minimal Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system just to run ACR 7.x hosted by Photoshop 13 ("CS6").

Leopard 10.5.x was awful, not just in dropping Classic Support but also in totally killing SCSI support.

The two Lions are mainly concerned with compatibility with mobile devices like the iPad and the iPhone.

The future of the desktop Mac as a serious computing platform seems doomed. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to Wouldja

Hi,

I can save out JPG, PSD, and TIFF resized images from source JPG files using Ps CS6 running on 10.8. Do you see the source images opening when you run the script and just don't have a resulting output folder? What options are you setting?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,050 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 27, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to Wouldja

A wild guess The image process saves and switches between documents and may try to catch error and continue processing.  On a Windows system there is an error in Photoshop CS6 that causes Action and Scripts that process more then on dcument to fail.  If in your Photoshop preferences you have un-checked "Open Document in Tabs" edit your preferences and check the option in the interface settings and try the Image Processor Script again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Wouldja

In the Bridge fourm that are at least 3 users that updated to Mountain Lion and CS5 crashes.  It appears to be a bug in the OS and Bridge at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Wouldja

Hi,

Where are your source files kept, and where are you targeting for the saved files? So far I have only tried on 1) a partion that is not the 10.8 boot, and 2) my 10.8 user's desktop 'Save in Same Location'.

Can you try running a Batch using the Production> Save as JPEG Medium action? Pick from the same source directory and save to the same destination, and check the 'Override Action "Save As" Commands'. You'll also want to turn off the 'Save' dialog in the action before running the batch script.

I tried John's suggestion and ran with Tabbed documents OFF and it didn't change anything (AFAIK, that is a Win specific bug).

The Bridge Cs5.1 crashing also isn't showing up on my 10.8 setup, but it would be wholly separate from this issue.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Wouldja

Hi,

Yes that seems like a permissions issue. Have you tried repairing disk permissions after the install?

Here's a video for repairing that's geared to when installers balk, but give general navigation if you haven't used Disk Utility before:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/repair-disk-permissions-runn ing-disk.html

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Wouldja

Hi,

Sorry but network saves are well outside my wheelhouse. Can you set up a local watched folder that use the OS to do a network copy, via Automator?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 27, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Wouldja

Given that it's a network you're dealing with, is it possible something's changed out there?

Have you rebooted all the resources involved?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Wouldja

There are several reports around the web about 10.8 having problems with network volumes that worked under 10.7 (especially volumes using SMB protocol). We'll investigate and document the problem for Apple.

In the meantime, it sounds like 10.8 doesn't like working with network volumes, so the above suggestions about saving locally still apply.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 27, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Wouldja

So just to be perfectly clear, have you seen it work before, saving to the network device, on Mountain Lion, or not?

If not, it sure sounds like a new bug introduced in 10.8 to me.  I just rescanned the thread and didn't see...  What's the server you're trying to save the files to running?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:18 PM   in reply to Wouldja

I think storing files onto windows-shared volumes is broken in various ways in Photoshop on 10.8. We've discovered that third-party folrmat writers simply cannot write into such locations and a prime example of it is JPEG2000 which is shipped with Photoshop but seems to behave very much like a third-party plugin from the internal point of view. Simply try File->Save As -> JPEG2000 (into a _windows_ shared network folder)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

There were some known OS bugs in 10.6 and 10.7 when saving to SMB.  I suspect that Apple may have made those worse instead of better.

Using another network server protocol (AFP, or (shudder) NFS) may help, or saving locally and copying manually to the server.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Possible solution: I created the /etc/nsmb.conf file, with the contents:

#######

[default]

streams=no

#######

It's an Apple problem, not Adobe

found here http://www.macwindows.com/lion-filesharing.html#072611a

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to badly+

many thanks! worked here too

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,050 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to -sOliNo-

Good to know all problems enconted using CS6 are not Adobe problems.  Network file sharing betweens OSs having problems seems to happen often when major changes are made in the operating systems, file systems and protocols. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to badly+

I am experiencing this too, but I am not a techy at all. How do I create this file, and where do I save it please? I would really appreciate some help.

Also, I have lost a couple of files after I couldn't save them again on our server, they simply vanished, or at least it seems. Is there any way I can retrieve them?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Regards

Edit: actually, I found the following in another post, which seems to be working, although saving seems very slow on the network, but that's a workaround that's easy to implement. Hopefully there will be a more suitable fix soon, but in the meantime, this seems to work.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4589667#4589667

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points