Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Seem To Add Enough Frames For Handles

Jul 30, 2012 7:57 PM

Hi,

I am editing a project that uses rendered 3d images to create video. I have added extra frames to the start and end of my sequences, but the cross disolve transition refuses to except that there is enough ending extra frames on the tail of the first clip in the transition. Has anyone seen this happen before?

thx

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to Keith Lee

How do you mean you "added extra frames to your sequences"?

Handles are the extra frames on a clip that are outside the edit points.  ie you cut your clip leaving extra frames outside the cut to enable a transition.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Keith Lee

Keith,

Were these "extra frames" before and beyond the In & Out Points of the Clip? If not, just reset your In & Out Points to allow for those "extra frames," to be seen as Handles.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Keith Lee

If you have animation in the part of the sequence which is between dissolves, but static frames created by holding on the In and Out points, you will get some odd effects with your dissolves.

If you want a 10 second long sequence with 1 second transitions at either end, you need to make your sequence 12 seconds long.  Trim one second off each end, and then apply your transition to the two sequences butted together.

Note that any motion in the sequence at the beginning and end of the wanted part of the sequence should progress, from and to, the additional handles.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Keith Lee

Yes, you always get odd effects with a transition if there is motion in the clips leading to and from the transition, but the transition itself occurs using "frozen" motion.  This occurs with ordinary camera shot video, so it will occur with your 3d animations too.

I think that you will only achieve satisfactory transitions if you use extensions of the animated video at the ends of your sequences as the necessary handles for the transitions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

If you are adding static Frames, as Alan questions, that is not what you want.

Instead, back in the animation program, begin the animation before where you will want it to start, by the length of the desired Transition. Do the same at the end, by extending the animation beyond where you will want it to end, by the length of the desired Transition. Then, set your In & Out Points where desired, having actual animation before the In Point, and after the Out Point - not static "extra Frames."

When you said that you were adding "extra Frames," I believe that I incorrectly assumed that you were adding additional "animation" Frames, and not static Frames. I think that Alan has nailed the issue, and I just missed what you were doing.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points