Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No "capable video play module" with HD 4000

Jul 30, 2012 6:01 PM

My version of this frequent problem doesn't seem to be published in the forum. I have a Vaio Z 2012 version, which has Intel HD 4000 graphics and no others. I get the "no capable video play module" whenever attempting to run Premiere Pro CS4.

Running as administor using right-click does not help; neither does changing compatibility settings to run as administrator. Video driver is current.

Adobe tech support says that my computer does not support OpenGL, based on the fact that PP6 does run with the default Microsoft VGA driver. (Don't suggest that as a solution to the problem; that driver doesn't support my external display). Sony had me reinstall the video driver, but other than that has no suggestions. Intel's website says that the HD 4000 supports OpenGL 3.3; Adobe's website says PP6 only needs OpenGL 2.0, so that should be okay.

I knew that I would not get Mercury acceleration with this computer, but it's hard to believe that there could be a modern computer on which Premiere Pro doesn't run at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to Derry K

Have you checked Intels website to see if you have the most up to date driver. I realize you said that you installed the driver again but sometimes windows doesn't find the most up to date driver even though it's supposed to. Also my other question is what is your screen resolution running at currently? The reason I'm asking is because in the past I have seen changing the screen resolution fix the issue you desribe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to Derry K

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to Derry K

According to other messages I have read, CS6 will often REQUIRE a graphics card update... so if your card/chip does not have a compatible update, you are not going to be able to run CS6

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to Derry K

I have a Sony Z running the Intel HD 3000. Based on my experience the only options today are:

1) Using the PMD when you want to use Premiere Pro

2) Uninstall Sony Intel/ATI driver and install Intel's HD 4000 driver

Based on comments and notes about systems with ATI switchable graphics, it appears Premiere Pro will only accept the discrete GPU.

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to Derry K

To use Premiere Pro with Intel graphics you need to:

1) Uninstall the Sony drivers (look for "ATI..." in uninstall menu)

2) Download and install Intel's drivers @ http://intel.ly/Pfx7uI (select the right driver for your OS)

When you receive the PMD, you'll need to install the Sony drivers but you'll only be able to use Premiere Pro with the PMD connected.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to Derry K

I think the issue is with Premiere Pro. Both Sony Vegas Pro 11 and Avid Media Composer 6 work fine with the Sony Intel/ATI combo drivers installed with Intel graphics running.

Based on posts related to BIOS switchable ATI graphics, I don't think Adobe will be addressing this anytime soon.

We're stuck with an awesome laptop that has so-so Premiere Pro performance (Interl drives) or pretty-good but tethered only quirks (PMD with Sony drivers).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points