Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best codec.

Jul 16, 2012 2:54 AM

Tags: #cs4 #premiere_pro #adobe_premiere_pro_cs4

My footage is an 720p AVI wrap and will be converted before editing.

I was just wondering what is the best codec to convert to that is fairly stable for editing in Premier CS4.

I currently convert to and use 720p H264 on Windows 7 64bit. 4GB ram ( I was told that CS4 by a Premier guru on an Adobe stand that CS4 cannot see more than 4GB anyway).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 16, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to snappygra

Welcome to the forum.

What is the current CODEC in that AVI "wrapper?" This ARTICLE goes into more detail on file formats as "wrappers," and CODEC's in general.

It might well be one, that PrPro CS4 can edit natively. If not, then I would convert to a lossless CODEC, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

The H.264 CODEC is a good one for delivery, but if you plan to edit, I would suggest NOT using any heavily-compressed CODEC.

As for the use of RAM by a program, with a 64-bit OS, you will want a minimum of 6 - 8GB, just for the OS. I recommend 12 - 16GB, as a good "minimum," with 24 - 32GB being better. Remember, the OS needs RAM, PrPro needs RAM, and then any program/process that you have open (might also load at bootup) will need RAM. System RAM is NOT just about what a program can use.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 6:07 AM   in reply to snappygra

No need to convert you can edit this footage after you installed the mjpeg codec.

http://www.mainconcept.com/products/sdks/video/motion-jpeg.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to snappygra

I agree with Ann. Once you have the MJPEG CODEC installed (and reboot), the footage should edit fine.

Now, all MJPEG CODEC's are not created equal. Camera mfgrs. tweak the MJPEG CODEC, to suit their purposes.

While many have luck with the generica MainConcept, or the Lead versions, all have not.

I feel that it is best to "go to the source," where possible. That means installing the exact version of the MJPEG CODEC, that came with the camera, that shot the footage. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to snappygra

If it plays on the computer it does not mean Premiere can play the file either.

Download and install, does it all for your.

Mainconcept works perfectly with Nikon avi's.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 5:11 PM   in reply to snappygra

VLC Player is not a good test, as it comes with its own CODEC's, and those are but for playback, and not for editing. PrPro is an editor.

Now, did you install the Nikon software on the same computer, that you are using PrPro on?

Installation of the Nikon software should have also installed Nikon's version of the MJPEG CODEC. Unfortunately, nearly every camera mfgr. writes their own version, and those mentioned above, MainConcept and Lead, might, or might not work. CODEC's, except those contained in players, or programs, like VLC Player (a great player, BTW), are all installed at the system level, and should then be accessible by PrPro, provided that it can use them. With MJPEG, there should be zero problem in PrPro.

To verify that your MJPEG CODEC has been installed properly, use G-Spot, and go toTables in G-Spot's Toolbar, to see the Video CODEC's that are installed. Do not be alarmed if it shows the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's as "broken." That is a false positive, due to the way that Adobe hides its CODEC's.

Now, when you have Imported your Nikon footage into a Project, and drag that to a Sequence, do you have a red line above the Clip(s)? If so, then your Sequence Preset does not match the Nikon's Source Footage.

Two last questions: you have not installed any CODEC "packs," like K-Lite, or similar, have you? You have not installed FFDShow have you?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to snappygra

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to snappygra

You can use a standard hdv sequence preset for this footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to snappygra

CS4 does not have ready made dslr presets.

HDV is just as good (I use them for Cineform avi's) or set up a custom one.

Under the tab General (screendump says Settings) / Editing Mode choose Desktop.

hdv 720p24.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to snappygra

IIRC, in CS4 it's under the "Custom" tab in Presets, and is the "Desktop" Preset, that allows most attributes to be adjusted to match the Source Footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to snappygra

snappygra wrote:

How do you make a custom preset please?

Post 13 i explained how to make a custom preset.

Under the tab General (screendump says Settings) / Editing Mode choose Desktop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points