Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it okay if you run software off of an external hard drive?

Jul 30, 2012 12:26 PM

Tags: #storage #install #creative #licensing #creative_cloud #adobe_application_manager

With purchased Adobe products I know that it's best practice to install the software on your internal hard drive due to various registry files. I'm running low on hard drive space and wanted to know if these cloud apps would run with less problems than before off of an external 2.0 usb hard drive? I'm on Windows 7. Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to LuisRM

You can customize the install location to utilize your external hard drive.  There will still be shared resources installed on your primary Windows drive however.  Is there anything else which can be removed from your internal hard drive besides trying to customize the install location?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to LuisRM

The steps you listed for deactivating are correct LuisRM.  As a rule of thumb I typically use external drives to store things like documents, pictures, videos, and backups.  I try to typically have the applications I use installed internally.  You should be ok with customizing the location but do keep in mind that your external hard drive will need to be connected whenever you want to use the applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright
    Thanks for the email, Jeff.
    I spent an hour on the phone with Support this afternoon and asked the question every way I could think of, and the answer was ALWAYS that Creative Cloud applications MUST reside on C:. Perhaps the App Manager, on initial start, could point this out - I'm sure I'm not alone. And, the UI for it is very muted. I didn't even SEE the Preferences dropdown at first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points