Skip navigation
lbphoto_pdx
Currently Being Moderated

Files Don't Show up in Lightroom 4 After Saving From Photoshop

Jul 31, 2012 12:40 PM

Tags: #file #photoshop #raw #export #bug #library #lightroom_4

This was a problem with Lightroom 2, was fixed in Lightroom 3, but has returned in Lightroom 4

Here's the scenerio

1. Select a RAW file in Lightroom 4
  2. Hit Cmd-E to Edit RAW file in Photoshop
  3. In Photoshop, hit File > Save As...
  4. Save the file as a PSD in a new subfolder outside the folder where the RAW file lives (for example: for every job, I keep my RAW files in a subfolder called "raw", my PSDs in a subfolder called "edit", and my master files in asub folder called "final")
  5. Go back to Lightroom, the new folder and PSD do not show up in Library
  6. You then have to right click on the Parent folder and hit Synchronize folder to have the new file and folder show up

If you open a RAW file in Photoshop, just hit Save, it will save it as a PSD next to the RAW file in the same follder and that file will show up in the Library. But I like to keep my RAW files seperate from PSDs, Tiffs, and so forth.

Help!

Lincoln

Lightroom 4

Photoshop CS6 Extended

Mac OSX 10.7.4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to lbphoto_pdx

This idea of putting things in a different folder is, quite frankly, getting in the way.

In step 3, File>Save and save under the same name in the same folder. That will solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Lr is capable of saving the tiff/psd/jpeg back into a new sub folder created by Photoshop. I've just checked and done it without any difficulty. Both the folder and image show up in Lr without having to use Synchronize Folder command.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to lbphoto_pdx

I would look at permissions on the new folder - I'm frustrated at how OSX has drifted in that area......... so user unfriendly!!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 12:43 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Ian Lyons wrote:

Lr is capable of saving the tiff/psd/jpeg back into a new sub folder created by Photoshop. I've just checked and done it without any difficulty. Both the folder and image show up in Lr without having to use Synchronize Folder command.

Ian,

I can confirm most of that: starting with a raw file, using "Edit In...", then "save ss" within PS to save to a different folder. The derivative and new folder then appear in LR.....but only if I "save as" either a PSD or Tiff. If I attempt to "save as" a Jpeg, the derivative does NOT appear back in LR.

Are you saying that you do get the Jpeg added back into your LR catalog?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

one comment: we can expect to see a difference when using "Edit in Photoshop", vs when using a named external editing preset from the Edit In... menu.

We may choose to use a preset in order to control the bitdepth, colourspace or filetype image-by-image; or when there are multiple editor programs in place.

In the former scenario, LR has told PS to open a file in memory and if this is not saved, LR makes no new image version. I am  surprised that LR is "watching" to see where PS saves it aside from the default location and name - I was not aware that this channel of communication is available - but perhaps, this is just a question of a brand new file appearing at path B instead of at path A. So there is still only one file.

In the other case of using an external editing preset, I gather that LR will have already made a workfile on disk before PS opens, and then PS is passed the fixed location of that. So in this case a further "save as" by Photoshop will cause a separate file to exist - over and above the one which LR knows PS has opened. Even if PS is simply closed without saving changes, the image file in question is still present on disk, and also appears in LR unless/until removed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points