Skip navigation
Lensco
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS6 automatically expanding appearance on objects?

Jul 2, 2012 5:56 AM

Tags: #illustrator #mac #bug #cs6 #expand_appearance

I've noticed this quite a few times in the past couple of weeks: I put a few effects on objects (drop shadows, round corners, transforms, offset path, etc) and when I come back later to the document the effects seem to have been expanded automatically – which sucks because that negates the whole point of non-destructive effects.

I haven't been able to reproduce this bug unfortunately, it seems completely random. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to Lensco

What format exactly did you save? Did you really save it in CS6-format?

This will not happen if you open an older document and then just save that document. And if you save down a document, everything that contains Gaussian blur will be expanded. Gaussian blur is not just in "Gaussian Blur", but in "Drop shadow" as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Lensco

Then please describe in detail what you did, post screenshots, examine the appearance panel etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Lensco

I just tried this. No problem.

Can you post that file? Or a demo version with exactly the font you used?

If you re-create that file with the same font, does it happen again?

Does it happen when you create that file with a different font?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Lensco

I am also having the exact same issue on CS6 AI files. I added a dropshadow effect on some text, saved, closed. Reopened (same day) and now the text styles are grouped (expanded) and I get an error message when I try to edit the text. You can see (video linked below) that when I hit "s," the input appears as "lsss" and I cannot delete the text. I'm using the Lucida Sans font family. I cannot post the file but here is a demo (Adobe doesn't support cloudapp so I just have to post the link)... http://f.cl.ly/items/3z2U0l1r2h3r3Q093d1Z/CS6CantEditType.mov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to sstefanski

I am getting the same exact problem, on several files. When i encounter this problem all shadows are expanded and text becomes almost uneditable as typing does not do what you would expect.

I'm getting pretty annoyed with this bug, it is causing me quite a lot of extra work. Any news on a potential fix or at least workaround for this?

I am using CS6 and saving CS6.

This file exhibits this behaviour:

http://cl.ly/14463I3X3e2w1q0M1z1q

Notes: it expands shadows, renders text uneditable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Lensco

I too am having the same issues. CS6 file, saved as CS6 file (Lion OS). Make sure if you try to replicate this issue you close the file and then reopen the file. The effect shows up as a non-editable link. Same frustrating problems, when I need to change type, I have to remember the blur percentage (or whatever effect percentage) on  the files I am working on. This is not very efficient. Is this a preference setting or a bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to sstefanski

I updated to mountain lion last week and this issue presists even on new assets that I've created after updating the os.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to dsfgdsfas

dsfgdsfas wrote:

This file exhibits this behaviour:

http://cl.ly/14463I3X3e2w1q0M1z1q

Notes: it expands shadows, renders text uneditable.

I can only reproduce this when I downsave my files to an older version.

BTW: if all you need is a drop shadow with a hard edge (blurring = 0), don't use drop shadow but instead create a new fill and use the transform effect on it. THis method will solve the expanding problem as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Lensco

Try this maybe?

1. Open the file in CS6.

2. Go to File > Save As...

3. Save it as the exact same file in the same place. Illustrator will ask you if you want to replace it; just say "Replace"

4. In the Illustrator Options window, make sure you have UN-checked "Use Compression"

That seemed to do the trick for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to mhaumann

This seems to work for me so far! A little annoying that compression gets checked by default but I'm glad I can just uncheck the option! Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

The bug I've run into is this.

1. In cs6 create a new file add some text add a drop shadow.

2. Save down to cs5.

3. Open the file and you will see the text and drop shadow have been separated into groups as expected.

4. Now try to edit the text in either of these groups and an error appears say the text it not editable (is this a bug? why can't I edit the text?). Trying to edit the text also resulted in locking up illustrator and needing to force quit or causing a program crash.

System is a mid 2010 macbook pro (8g ram) with Mountain Lion.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Lensco

I've been having the same exact issue as Lensco mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I've tried saving with AND without compression selected in the Save dialog box but it doesn't affect the appearance expansion. It happens without my control - some files I open are exactly as I left them, and others are totally expanded which is VERY frustrating. I don't ever downsave in the older AI format so it's not the case. I'm seriously thinking of dumping the CS6 licence and going back to CS5 because this bug wastes a lot of my time when having to recreate all the styles.

Also, on a different note, my Illustrator shuts down unexpectedly quite often, mostly when I'm using a different application in parallel (eg. Photoshop CS6). It doesn't pop any error messages or Save dialog boxes, just turns off on it own. And usually when I open back the file, all of the styles are expanded.

It's super frustrating and I'm totally clueless. Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to Piotrek_PL

Hey Piotrek, one thing I learned is that CS6 seems to automatically downsave to CS5 if the original file was created in CS5 or below. So make sure if it was originally a CS5 file you do "save as" and select CS6 after opening it in CS6 and saving for the the first time. You may want to check and make sure its saving to the correct version even if you started in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to Ichabodcole

All of the files I had problems with were originally created after I had the newest Illustrator CS6 installed on my machine so the CS5 downsaving has never been an issue here. The most frustrating thing is that it's totally unexpected and selective, even though I save and use all my files the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Lensco

This one's hit 3 machines in our studio — it's affected dropshadow elements but also graidents on a path — these being expanded to gradient mesh objects.

In some cases it's been an 'old' file saved to CS6, in other cases it's been in a 'native' CS6 file that was saved, closed and re-opened.

Just killed 8 artboards worth of multiple elements with different effects (that needed to remain editable). Because of the speed at which the file was closed and reopened, recreating the effects is the only solution (in other words — time killer).

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to Doug Ridgway

If you open an old file and then just hit "Save", the file will be saved as CS5.

In this case Illustrator pops up a message that states just this. You really should read the messages Illustrator shows you.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Maybe I'm not understanding how that's relevant, or even applicable to my situation. And I'm definitely not clear on what you mean by "you really should read the message illustrator shows you...."

I thought this was a bug?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to Doug Ridgway

when you just save an old file, Illustrator will show this

alteversion.png

(it's the German version and exactly states what will happen - just as you described it)

No, this is no bug. You will just have to do "Save as" and create a new version of the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

I believe you've misunderstood — here are the two scenarios we have see so far:

1) Drop Shadows 'Expanded'

a)     Open CS5.5 File, Type has drop shadow effect

b)     Duplicate and alter multiple artboards

c)     Save file as CS6 (not changing any of the predefined settings)

d)     Open File, drop shadows are Expanded (much like effects would be 'expanded' if a file was saved as a 'pre-effects' version such as AI3).

2) Gradients on Path to Mesh   

a)     Create new document (CS6)

b)     create multiple objects using gradients on path

c)     Save (CS6) and close

d)     Open file an hour later — paths are now Mesh Objects (Same install on same machine)

We have attempted to recreate these errors but haven't had success — they seem random, and the instances I'm sighting are happening rarely, but frequently enough to cause concern.

The warning message you've provided is given when you're saving over a version of the file in an OLDER format than the version currently running (if you save from CS6 into a CS5 format) — when you're saving to a NEWER version (CS6 or the most current), I'd expect that all editing capabilities that are in the working document would be preserved. No?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Doug Ridgway

Doug Ridgway wrote:

when you're saving to a NEWER version (CS6 or the most current), I'd expect that all editing capabilities that are in the working document would be preserved. No?

Of course when you're saving in the current version editability should be preserved. Your initial question wasn't clear at all about what exactly you were doing.

Exactly where are you saving your files?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

We save to a networked 'server' — a small RAID on a Mini running 10.6 (mac). Been using it with no issues for approx 3 years.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to Doug Ridgway

Simple solution: Don't do this.

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-rem ovable-media.html

Even if it one worked. It may stop working at any time.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 4:00 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

Ahhh.... now I remember why I don't post things to forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to Doug Ridgway

Doug Ridgway wrote:

Ahhh.... now I remember why I don't post things to forums.

I don't get your point.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

I don't use a network drive and the same exact thing happens to me as well. Just don't want you blame the network drive if it's not the reason for the weird saving beahvior.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Piotrek_PL

Besides, are you really saying that it's an acceptable "solution" not to use a network drive?! It doesn't even throw an error or a warning message. There is obviously a problem here and your (Monika Gause) suggestion is not very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to Piotrek_PL

Piotrek_PL wrote:

Besides, are you really saying that it's an acceptable "solution" not to use a network drive?!

Actually I'm in no position to change anything about Illustrators inability to deal with networks (I'm just a user as you are). So if you want your files to stay intact, stay away from networks. That's just the way it is - aceptable or not.

If you want to change it: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

It isn't my intent to make this discussion thread about anything other than what it should be: Expanding Apeearance of Objects and a VERY LIKELY BUG.

By attempting to point out all the 'mistakes' that other users make  — you are moving the attention away from the problem at hand. Furthermore, your attitude seems to be one of 'pointing a finger' rather than geninuinely attemping to offer any valuable advice.

It is not in the spirit of the forums and it is not helpful. You also might want to check yourself in terms of your experience level realtive to other users — I'm sure you're not a beginner, but your tone indicates you feel that other participants are.

Enough said — if you have something valuable to contribute, I'd love to hear it.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 1:17 PM   in reply to Doug Ridgway

Doug Ridgway wrote:

Enough said — if you have something valuable to contribute, I'd love to hear it.

I'm trying to rule out known issues (saving to remote volumes is one of the most widespread reasons for data loss).

Maybe you could try not saving directly to the remote server. If Illustrator continues to ruin your files, it will be necessary to search further. If your files are OK, then you have your solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

I could swear this happened to me last week with a very simple file of paths and dashed strokes/fills (no text or raster effects).

However, I'm compeltely unable to reproduce anything displaying the issue again. Including the issues posted here with the supplied files. Everything seems to save in the state I expect. I've tried every posted set of steps in this thread and nothing results in exanded appearance when the file is reopened. The only possible variable is saving over a network. I never do that, ever. Too many hard lessons learned with that.

To be honest, I chalked up my issue to hitting save when I didn't want to. I was expanding/merging objects and saved as an EPS. I must have simply hit Command-S inadvertently. Since I can't purposely cause this to happen, that's the only explanation I could come up with.

There's also a slim possibility that Apple's removal of the Save As command in favor of Save a Version in Mac OS 10.7 (The only Mac OS to have this) may be the problem. Although Illustrator still has the Save As command... Apple was doing "hinky" stuff with saving in OS 10.7.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I can repeat this time and time again by simply copying and pasting into the same document. As soon as I paste, it expands.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to [scott w]

This Use Compression feature is a big problem. Is there a way we can just have it off by default?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points