Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Best font management solution for CS6/InDesign?

Jul 28, 2012 2:26 PM

Tags: #font #management

I recently upgraded to CS6. (OS 10.6.8). I'm finding that InDesign is extremely slow and wondering if it might have to do with font management. I have a LOT of fonts on my machine. I was using Suitcase previously. Do I need to continue with that? I'd appreciate any advice about best practices for organizing fonts and/or suggestions for font management software.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 28, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to bdm1000

Im personally still using FontExplorer X. Even though its old and no longer supported it works great for me.

Do you have a ton of fonts active at one time? Or do you turn them on and off as needed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to bdm1000

I'm using SF4 with CS6 on Mac and Windows with no ill effects.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to bdm1000

Must say its Font Explorer Pro (FEP) for me! (MacPro OSX 10.6.8 Indesign Creative Suite 4, Indesign 5.5)

When I first started this job they had suitcase and I found that program really limiting. But I also had never used it before and knew very little about it.

FEP has many things that I like about it.

1. Although most people lean away from font auto activation the one that comes with FEP has been working real smooth, a few second delay when opening files while it starts what font is required.

2. Font Preview is amazing, select the fonts you want to compare with a typeface you have and you have transparent view and slide show.

3. Font Groups: Where you can put all fonts for particular jobs into smart sets.

4. Search files and discover which fonts where used inside that file and save that as a font set

5. There is also a server version of the program.

6. Application Sets: Really handy for auto activating fonts used only in certain programs.

7. Good Conflict control.

The list could possibly go on and on, in other words, love FEP and highly recommend it.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 12:50 AM   in reply to bdm1000

I really wish Adobe made a font manager...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to danielfeary

Yeah, ATM Deluxe for OS9 was, by my recollection, the most stable font manager I ever used.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points