Skip navigation
MN
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble using transform to scale

Jul 31, 2012 4:38 PM

I've recently found that I'm unable to proportionately scale objects with drop shadows or outer glows. I end up with a "pressed sandwich" object. And yes, I have "contrain proportions" and "scale strokes and effects" checked. It's extremely frustrating, as I aim to be precise with my measurements. Please help me to discover what it is that I am missing. Thank you, Marc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 4:48 PM   in reply to MN

Are you useing the "uniform" field in the Scale dialog then clicking OK? If you are hitting Tab first, you switch to the non-uniform fields.

Other than that, you'll need to describe how you are scaling objects exactly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to MN

Your description leaves a lot to be desired. What OS and version of AI are you using? What happens when you try to scale the object. Is Align to Pixel grid on in the Transform panel. Does it do the same if you use the Scale tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to MN

Does your Lock button have these two bars visible?

Screen shot 2012-07-31 at 5.24.32 PM.png

If not, you don't have Constrain Proportions on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to MN

I can't replicate the issue with CS6 and OS 10.6.8. Might be an OS 10.8 issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:02 PM   in reply to MN

You're using the Effect>Stylize, right? Are you using any font management, esp. FontExplorer? There have been reports of problems with the most recent update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 11:11 PM   in reply to MN

I can easily reproduce it in Mac OS X 10.7.4 if I have Use Preview Bounds acive in the Illustrator Preferences urn it off and it works fine.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points