Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 - Keyframe won't snap to end of clip, it snaps just *before* the end

Jun 30, 2012 10:59 PM

If I'm moving an image across the screen, the final keyframe will not snap to the end of the clip (even though it does snap to the edge of the window). This is with the keyframe timeline zoomed-out. Once I snap the keyframe to the end, I have to manually zoom in on the keyframes, find the last keyframe which should be at the end of the clip but it's not, and then drag it to the absolute end of the clip.

Anyone else having this problem? I have to do this every single time!

http://i1.creativecow.net/u/159139/keyframe1.jpg

Screenshot 1: Keyframe snapped to end of clip, timeline zoomed out.

http://i1.creativecow.net/u/159139/keyframe2.jpg

Screenshot 2: Timeline zoomed in, Why isn't the keyframe at the end??

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Prizm4

I have not noticed that, but use my PageUp/PageDn to get to the Head of a Clip, and then the left-facing Cursor key to get to the last Frame of the Previous Clip, for that last Keyframe. Will investigate.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to Prizm4

The final keyframe can not be right at the very end. ie the right hand edge of the last frame

Key frames are  time based and so the very end is actually ... "time over"

eg head of first frame in a 30 SECOND (PAL) timeline is 00:00

The last frame in a 30 second program (PAL) is 29:24

AT 30:00 there is no image because "time is over" (complete)

Marks and keyframes relate to the "left hand edge of the frame"  ie the beginning of the event in time

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to shooternz

However you can set keyframes beyond the in and outpoint of a clip.

If you want to be able to see beyond a clip in/out point in the Effect Controls uncheck Pin to Clip in the Panel Menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to Prizm4

Are you saying that the keyframe is not being set at the CTI point in the clip?

Not sure what you mean by "snap" to the end of the clip or how you are setting the keyframe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to Prizm4

Looking at your two screen-caps, there is a difference in Duration, between the two Clips shown:

The first is 00;09;20;00 and the second is 00;09;23;00

How was the Keyframe added in the second screen-cap?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to Prizm4

I just did a test in CS6 and it performs exactly as I expect.

If the CTI is at the end of the Clip...that where the keyframe is placed. Precisely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Prizm4

O.K

I set my CTI before I set the keyframe.  ( If I need to move the keyframe subsequently, I drag it after I set it but always to another CTI position so that I can monitor it)

If I want a keyframe at either  end of the clip I use the keyboard shortcut eg PG-dn /up (CS5)  or Up/Dn arrow keys (CS6).

That snaps the key frame to the end of the clip (edit point).

Reason I do this is that I dont usually have the Effects Window expanded enough to see the entire key frame setting pathway ( as per your your effects window as shown)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Prizm4

I've experienced something just like this too.  If I have a clip selected, and am moving the CTI in the Effect Control window, I can move the CTI past the edge of the window.  If I put the CTI at the exact edge of the effect control window, the CTI is roughly 18 frames ahead of the end of the clip in the timeline.  Like Prizm said, it's like the effects window isn't aligned to the end of the clip.  I can scrub to the end of the clip in the effect window, but then I can't see the CTI anymore, it's hidden behind the edge of the window. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 10:30 PM   in reply to Prizm4

Actually ...I now concur that there is a difference in behaviour in the FX Window between CS5 and CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 9:15 PM   in reply to Prizm4

I just came across the same problem.  I have been using PPRO since 1.0 (and before it was PPRO) and this is the first time I have seen this behavior....really annoying.  The reason why I don't set keyframes at the end of clips is because if you use arrow up to go to the end of the clip you see the first frame of the next clip...little bit tough to set a keyframe when I can't see what it is effecting.  I usually set a keyframe in the middle of the clip using the effects control panel so I can see the effect and drag it to the end, but not moving to the absolute end is killing me...It's a few frames off.   As mentioned, if you are panning an image it stops moving before the duration of the image is over.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 11:30 PM   in reply to {KMS}

For solidarity I, too, have noticed a similar issue.

I cannot remember the exact circumstances, but I was in a hurry and dismissed it as human error.  Zooming into a misplaced keyframe in the effect window was not possible.  Its behaviour seemed very different from that of CS5.5.

I will investigate further now I know it's not just moi!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

I have had the same issues moving the CTI in the Effect Control window, I can move the CTI past the right edge of the window. Arrow up sets the CTI correclty at the beging of the clip.  Arrow down takes the CTI a few  frames ahead of the end of the clip in the timeline. I thought is was human error, but now will report as a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to {KMS}

arrow up to go to the end of the clip you see the first frame of the next clip

So go back one frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I shouldn't have to mess around with going to the end of the clip then back one frame due to a bug.  I should be able to just drag the keyframe to the end of the clip in the effects control panel (Like I have in every other version of PPRO.  Makes keyframing in the effects control panel not that great.  You can move the keyframes on the timeline, but you can only see one property at a time.) 

Also, if there is a transition on the end of the clip you are applying keyframes to it makes it tough to see the effect of the keyframe on the clip.  I like my keyframes to be at the end of the transition and not stop part way through.

There are a lot of workarounds to cope with it, but the fact is that the effects control panel does not display clips the way it should.  The heart of the problem is that the effects control panel does not display the entire tail end of a clip.  Part of the tail is obstructed by the UI.  The number of frames obscured by the UI is proportional to the length of the clip (longer clips have more frames hidden). 

I am out of town today, but tonight I plan on creating a fast video capture of the problem to help people see what exactly I am talking about...hoping Adobe will have a fix for it soon...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 3:19 PM   in reply to {KMS}

I agree you should be able to.

But for now, you can't.  And most of us here are just users who can't change that fact.  So, we suggest alternatives.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to {KMS}

I shouldn't have to mess around with going to the end of the clip then back one frame due to a bug.

AFAIK and recall..its always been this way.  One backs up one frame from the end of the clip to set the last achievable keyframe.

(The end of a clip is "the end of the clip".  ie. time is over and the clip has ended. There is no place in time to insert key frame data once the clip is over.)

The heart of the problem is that the effects control panel does not display the entire tail end of a clip. Part of the tail is obstructed by the UI. The number of frames obscured by the UI is proportional to the length of the clip (longer clips have more frames hidden).

I am not seeing any difference in CS6 from CS5.5 in this regard.

I do not have any obscuring of the last frame.  The clip is displayed end to end.  One can not see past the end, The slide bar is max  limited to the extent of the clip.

Wondering if you have customised your Workspace (UI)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to shooternz

I think I see a couple of related problems. I upgraded from CS3 to CS6 so I don't have a historical reference for this. Maybe some of the other old timers can pitch in a few comments.

First of all, I can't get the keyframe in the effects window to snap to the video frames. I have it set to do that, but it doesn't. I took away the ability to snap to anything else. Didn't help.

To recreate this problem, zoom all the way in to the effects window and then create and move a keyframe around. Nice and smooth, isn't it. But wait. Should it be smooth? No. It should stop at a frame. Not in the middle, or 3/4 of the way through. It should stop at the same places the CTI stops when you step through the video one frame at a time. Right? Yes!

I also see that the only way to get a keyframe to the end by using a mouse is to zoom all of the way in and then move it to the right. It appears that the vertical scroll bar is covering some of the effects window. Like they used an "inner stroke" instead of an "outer stroke". I think I got those terms right. So you can't actually see the end of the effects window, therefore you can't put anything there. It seems that the closest I can get while zoomed all the way out is about two and a half frames. Yes. I said it. HALF!  Yikes!

So, as much as I don't like the idea of using end and arrow back one frame when I have a perfectly good mouse in my right hand, it appears that the only way to do this quickly is to give in to the keyboard fanatics. The mouse haters. You know the ones.

Or, move the keyframe and zoom all of the way in - then move it more.

Looks like a bug to me. I am curious if Adobe would prefer a bug report or a feature request.

-- Steven

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven (and others)

Try this.

Select Clip in the timeline. 

Open FX Controls

Press Down Arrow

Press Left Arrow

You are now at the last keyframeable frame in the clip.

Right / Wrong?

"Mouse Hater" - did you mean me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz,

Of course you are correct. However, there are occasions when you want to set a keyframe in the middle of the clip and then drag it to the end. Why? Well, what if the video has a dissolve to black at the end. You can't see it. So how do you adjust the position, or the size, etc. So you create the keyframe before the fade to black, and then drag it to the end. But wait. Where the heck is the end? I have to put it almost at the end, then zoom all of the way in and move it the last little bit. On my system, it is about 2 and a half frames.

So, pressing end, or down arrow. Either way, I have a mouse in my hand at that moment because I was messing with a rubberband. Why do I have to let go and use the keyboard?

I am not saying this is a critical issue for me personally, but it is a bug and should be fixed.

I am in San Jose quite often. I now live just up the road in Oakland. I would be happy to stop by and show the Adobe folks what I mean.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Its interesting how we all work differently

eg

Well, what if the video has a dissolve to black at the end. You can't see it. So how do you adjust the position, or the size, etc

Generally I still work the same as I did when editing film on a bench / flat bed.  I make the edit and then do the transitions and heavy fx (cc/grade).  If I have dropped in a transition and run into the situation you mention...I simply drop it out then restore it.

I also have been known to set a KF at a notional point in the clip and shift it around until it works for me. Including the end.

BTW - If I drag a keyframe in FX Control Panel hard right to the limit and then back space one frame (Left Arrow).  That is also the last  keyframeable frame in the clip

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to shooternz

It is interesting, isn't it?

I may be old, but I didn't get my first video camera until I was in my late 40's. So I am still a beginner.

If I could drag the keyframe all the way to the hard right, and have it be at the beginning of the last frame, I would be a happy puppy. But two and a half frames is just plain annoying.

If I could set the CTI at the beginning of the last frame and use my mouse to drag the keyframe and snap to that point, it would be fine.

But when I drag the keyframe and it doesn't snap to a frame. Any frame. Or the CTI.  Well, enough said.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

It is strange and I have tested and tested this on my CS6.

If I mouse drag the CTI or a keyframe in the FX Control Window...hard right ...the indicator is definitely on the end  limit of the clip and one frame back shows the last frame of the clip. 

At the limit ..I can only see 1/2 of the Orange Knob on top of the CTI or half the keyframe symbol.  Just enough to grab either  with the mouse.  Of course if I keyboard it back with the arrow keys..it is easy to get hold of it.

I just can not replicate the two and a half frames issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 10:15 PM   in reply to shooternz

Here is a short video I just created illustrating the problem.  I hope it is clear.  I appreciate all the help from fellow users.  I'm just glad that I don't animate pictures as much as I used to...please let me know if anything in the video is unclear.  I would recommend watching it on YouTube in HD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4T1WZhj588&feature=youtu.be

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to {KMS}

I can see that clearly.  Well presented.

But ..I can not get my system to do exactly that "short of end" issue.ie a few frames difference between the end of the clip in FX an Timeline.

The issue I do get is that indicators and keyframes gets stuck under or hidden by the vertical scroll bar in the FX Control Window.

The issues are related somehow and I agree a fix is needed

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 11:56 PM   in reply to {KMS}

Instead of changing the size of the panel, just zoom all the way in. From there you can get to the end. As long as you are close to the end so you can see the keyframe when you zoom all the way in, you should be good to go.

This is rather like unpinning from the clip, but you don't have to be quite as careful. Just grab it, slam it to the right, and move on.

I was going to provide video, but I just looked at the clock. Time to get some sleep.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Just filed my bug report.  I encourage others to do the same to get this issue resolve before version 6.5.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to {KMS}

I just filed mine. I explained it and then posted a link to this discussion.

Maybe they will respond. Maybe not. I just hope they fix it. I use this method way more than I should and I am not in the mood to change now.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Can anyone confirm if this problem has been addressed in the new update 6.02.  I won't be able to check it out until tonight.  I looked through the bug fixes in this release, but didn't see it mentioned.  Really hoping it was fixed.  Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to {KMS}

Nope, it's still there.  Guess it wasn't important enough to get looked at or something.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to jumpymonkey9

Considering all the issues that did get resolved, it's a pretty safe assumption that this one wasn't very high priority.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to jumpymonkey9

I am not so sure that it is still there.

I just imported a still into a project, put it on the timeline, and up in the Effects Control panel, I was able to drag the CTI all the way to the right. Since this was the only thing on the timeline, when I drag to the right, the Program Monitor goes black. As expected when at the end of the timeline.

Sometimes the CTI looks like it is just before the last frame, but when I release the mouse button it moves one to the right and the Program Monitor goes black.

I tried again with a video clip. It works the same way.

By George, I think they've got it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I tried what you did, and you are correct, but I think we've always been able to do that.  The problem we're having is that when we drag the CTI in the effects control panel all the way to the right, it actually disappears behind the vertical scroll bar of the effects control panel.  I'm guessing that's what happened when you did it.  And because that works that way, if you were to create a keyframe and drag it to the "end" of the clip in the effects control panel, the keyframe won't move behind the vertical scroll bar, so it's always a few frames short of the end of the clip.  So you have that extra step of zooming all the way in in the effects control panel and dragging the keyframe to the last frame of the clip (assuming that's where you want it).

I'm still having the problem after the update, so I really don't think they've fixed it.  I'd probably agree with Jim Simon on this one.  It's quite a small issue compared to fixing random crashes and footage becoming unlinked. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2012 10:14 PM   in reply to jumpymonkey9

Rats. You are correct. I missed a step.

Oh well, next time.

Maybe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I am experiencing the same problem, i.e., the key frame window CTI and key indicators are hidden behind the right vertical scroll bar for the last few frames of the clip.  The workaround that I found is to move the left re-sizing edge of the window (even slightly will do) and the window "wakes up" and and will show the last frame in the clip.  That being said, the CTI and the key indicator are only "peeking" out past the edge, making them tricky to click on, even with a 24" monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to Prizm4

So did this issue get dropped?  I'm still experiencing the same issue with the latest version of CS6. I hope Adobe didn't decide to fix this in CC and leave all of their CS6 users in the dust.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points