Help!! working on a 500 page book divided into tutorials, supposed to be completed by Friday, with tons of screenshots links.
For the third time, a document which used to spell check just fine, is now crashing InDesign.
For the first two documents, what I ended up doing was duplicating the file, and then deleting everything after the crash, rechecking spelling until I got enough out that spellcheck would work. Then I added stuff back paragraph by paragraph until I could isolate where the corruption appeared. I then retyped paragraph by paragraph, making sure spellcheck worked. Once I got over the hurdle I could paste in the rest of the document and everything worked fine.
I have only the standard dictionary, and I don't believe I have even any user-defined words.
Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately your suggestions did not work:
Rechecked my fonts. All I used was Myriad Pro family (for eventual ePub export) and all validate with Font Book.
Exporting did not solve the problem. IDML version crashed at the same spot.
Would the crash log help? I saved it.
My crash report is at:
Before testing the file again:
1. used monolingual to clear out a bunch of fonts
rant: Adobe, why must I do this every time I upgrade? Wish default would be simple fonts, with option to load others later.
2. used Font Book to validate all fonts, removed duplicates, etc.
3. securely emptied trash and restarted the computer.
File still crashes with spell check at exactly the same spot in the document.
(page 16 out of 33)--p. 150 using automatic numbering from the previous document in the book.
I'm not a real expert on crash reports, but this one looks, not surprisingly, like it involves the Proximity dictionary (Proximity is the dictionary vendor, in this case).
You CAN install without the added fonts, by the way. You have to click to expand the component lists on the right hand side of the installer window when it comes up in one of the first steps.
FIGURED IT OUT.
My user dictionary corrupted. To solve it:
1. Opened InDesign without any documents open.
2. Opened Preferences > Dictionary.
3. Made a new user dictionary with the Plus button. (There always has to be one dictionary.)
4. Highlighted and deleted my original user dictionary.
Opened problem file, and it spell-checked perfectly.
Thanks, Peter, for your support, and I hope this will help other folks.
Thanks also to Sandee Cohen, InDesign CS6 Visual Quickstart Guide: http://tinyurl.com/d5hstz3
Europe, Middle East and Africa