Skip navigation
KashishBidsar
Currently Being Moderated

Can I Open Indesign File In CorelDraw Without Losing The Applied Effects?

Aug 1, 2012 1:21 AM

Tags: #cs4 #problem #cs5 #cs3 #help #export #import #printing #print

i have been using Indesign for quite some time now and i have considerable experience in Corel too. My problem is that if i export an indesign file as PDF and then open it in CorelDraw, the file loses the effects i applied.

For example i apply blur effect on a picture in Indesign and after exporting it as a PDF, i open it in CorelDraw, the file would lose the Blur effect i applied.

I am confused how to retain the effects i applied in Indesign so that it shows up in Corel as well.I DO NOT wish to edit the file in Corel because the file would be transferred for printing purpose only.

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to KashishBidsar

Sounds like Corel doesn't support live transparency effects in a PDF. So

try flattening the PDF during export in InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 1:31 AM   in reply to KashishBidsar

(Try using the PDF/X-1a:2001 preset.)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to KashishBidsar

So, if you don't want to edit, what is it you need to do in Corel Draw that you can't do directly in ID to hand off for printing?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:00 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sounds like this is one of those off-shore oddball printers that want CorelDRAW files. I didn't think there were any left. That said perhaps the OP misunderstood and they ACCEPT CorelDRAW. I would certainly do all I could to contact the printer to get this clarified.

There's nothing to be gained by taking that ID file and putting it into CorelDRAW no matter how you do it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 11:17 AM   in reply to KashishBidsar

Adobe and Corel products handle effects (like blur, or dropshadow, or even gradients) completely differently from each other. The only chance of having them move from one to the other is to rasterize any such effects before making the PDF (DO NOT save this over your original file!).

Note that I said it's a chance. Even these will be mishandled from time to time.

Good luck.

OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points