Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Would upgrading from 32bit to 64bit make a big difference in photoshop CS6 performance?

Jul 31, 2012 10:59 PM

Tags: #photoshop #issue #photoshop_cs6_beta

I am working with CS6 on the windows XP 32 bit system with the max RAM of 4GB.  I am continuously having RAM issues when saving and/or opening files.  I have been told that changing to a 64 bit operating system will fix these issues.  Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?  And if I choose to go from XP to Windows 7, which version do I need Home, professional or premium?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 1:39 AM   in reply to msoschaney

Well, if you don't plan on bumping up your RAM, 64bit will do nothing for you. Yes, 64bit OS can address more RAM and even 32bit apps behave better, but 64 bit OSs also require more RAM to begin with because they are "fatter". On your current system, any potential gains would probably be eaten up by your OS generally feeling slower and taking its share of memory away from programs. If you do go 64bit without changing anything on your system, you can use Win 7 Home. From your description, your computer is an older model and won't need or satisfyingly run any stuff in Professional or Premium, anyway. Just be wary of potential driver issues and what have you...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to msoschaney

Can you describe what sized files you're working with and what these "RAM issues" are?

Also, what are your settings in the Edit - Preferences - Performance dialog?

You may have specific problems having nothing to do with your computer power.  Or you may be right and need a new computer.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to msoschaney

If your computer isn't particularly old and apparently has 64 bit capability, I would definitely look into going with an all-new 64 bit OS. 

There are those of us running Photoshop in Windows 7 x64 with great success.

And RAM is incredibly cheap right now.  I'd suggest going up to 16 GB if you can, even if it means replacing all the RAM you currently have.

Something to keep in mind is that Windows 8 is going to be released this Fall, and it will be be priced at $39.95 for an upgrade (yes, even an upgrade to XP).

However, if you liked XP over its successors, you may dislike Windows 8 even more.  I've already written a book on how to tweak and augment Windows 8 to be a work-oriented system because out of the box it's not anything like its predecessors - the desktop isn't where you start, and when you do find your way to it to run what Microsoft considers "legacy" Win32 code there's not even a Start button.

If you really want to start talking about pushing performance into the stratosphere, I can suggest some ways to use SSD that can help you do so, though that's still costly.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I've already written a book on how to tweak and augment Windows 8 to be a work-oriented system

Hi Noel, sounds interesting - is the book updated for the RTM version of Windows 8?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,471 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 11, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Not yet.  I haven't run the "leaked" RTM code myself.

I'll update the book as soon as I can.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points