Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot uninstall Adobe Flash 10 Activex

Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having lots of problems with the new Adobe Flash 11 player. In the course of trying to diagnose the problem, I found that there is a copy of Adobe Flash 10 player Activex control in my Programs and Features under Control Panels.

Browsers: Firefox 14, IE9, Safari 5.1.7

Unfortunately, when I click on the entry in Programs and Features, no uninstall option appears. Right-clicking it does nothing, and neither does clicking it and hitting Enter.

When I try to install Flash 11, it installs successfully along with an Activex for IE, but the version 10 Activex is still showing in Programs and Features.

The biggest symptom of this condition appears to be extremely slow operation in Firefox with Flash installed...pages take MINUTES to become available. In IE, the browser reported that Flash was not installed, even though it was. In Safari, sometimes Flash would work, sometimes it wouldn't

I ended up uninstalling Flash 11 plus Flash 11 Activex in order to get my browsers to work properly so I could seek out this forum to post this.

I also previously had the latest version of Chrome installed, but Flash wouldn't work there either. My undersanding is that Chrome comes with Flash, so I didn't understand how Chrome could not be working with Flash. I uninstalled Chrome a one point trying to see if anything would improve, and I have not yet re-installed it.

Can anyone suggest a way I can get the Flash 10 Activex uninstalled? I don't even know if it's what is causing my problems, but I'm trying to get rid of it in order to eliminate it as a candidate.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html - that should uninstall all Flash Player versions.

Make sure the following folders are empty before you reinstall:

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
  • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash (if you are on a 64-bit system)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat. Thanks for replying. I already tried that uninstaller

previously, but it didn't work in my case. Nevertheless, I tried it

again just now. I also deleted the folders you indicated. Despite this latest attempt, the

Adobe Flash Player 10 Activex entry still appears in my Programs and

Features and still has no uninstall option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup! That got rid of it.

However, when I install Flash 11, I still get extremely slow response

times trying to load web pages with Flash movies on them. Can you help

me with that here, or do I need to submit a new ticket?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it would be best if you started a new topic with all details at http://forums.adobe.com/community/flashplayer/using_flashplayer

Make sure to provide a sample URL where this occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines