Skip navigation
dtencza
Currently Being Moderated

Find Font dialog box - bracket meaning?

Jul 14, 2011 7:57 PM

Can anyone tell me what the angled brackets around the font names mean? (As in the <MT Extra>, <MV Boli>, and <Symbol> fonts in this graphic?)

I tried looking in the Illustrator CS5 User Guide and it doesn't mention why some fonts would have these brackets.

Thanks

FindFontDialogBox.gif

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 15, 2011 2:19 AM   in reply to dtencza

Brackets mean you arent seeing the font displayed in it's face. It's a dingbat or symbol font and you are being shown the font name rather than a sample.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2011 1:57 PM   in reply to dtencza

Glad I could help

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to dtencza

The angle brackets may also indicate missing fonts. Angle brackets in other Creative Suite applications and especially in a pre-flight report show the use of a font in a document that is not loaded on your local machine. As you can see in your image MV Boli has normal text as well as an icon based component (for shorthand) yet it is still shown within angle brackets.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to Foster_Johnson

Most Adobe apps with show an astericks for a missing font (*fontname), not the angle brackets.

In all cases I can recall, the angle brackets indicate the name not being show in a sample for whatever reason.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 4:10 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I agree with you that the use of angle brackets to indicate a symbolic font is accurate. However, the use of angle brackets to indicate a missing font is also accurate.

From a survey of Adobe Illustrator user's guides and professional printing guides - "Illustrator CS shows a font’s name in angle brackets to tell you if a font is missing. Fonts that have been substituted will [also] display an asterisk next to their name."

SubstitutedFonts.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Foster_Johnson

From a survey of Adobe Illustrator user's guides and professional printing guides - "Illustrator CS shows ...

Link please,

This is the online manual, http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/topics.html how am I supposed to find where this is explained?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to GSIDesign

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers