Skip navigation
browla48614861
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with export to 3D pdf

Jul 31, 2012 11:37 AM

Tags: #acrobat #pdf #adobe #3d #3dpdf

I'm trying to export a file from Photoshop cs6 into a 3D pdf. This is what I do... In Photoshop messing with a U3D file created in CATIA, I finish what I'm doing, go to 3D at the top select export 3D layer from the drop down, new window opens asking to save as, I save it as a .U3D file again, and then that's it for Photoshop. I then go to Acrobat, go to create new pdf from file, select the same .u3d file, but upon opening it, all colors are lost, and it appears gray. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a quick easy fix?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to browla48614861

In my experience Acrobat won't preserve layers and colors.  Import your file into the 3D Reviewer instead.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to browla48614861

What's your setup for coloring and texturing the 3D materials in PS? Usually the texture embedding in U3D works fine if the materials are assigned solid colors or flat textures - it will ask you to choose PNG or JPEG compression and the ECMA version (1 or 3), but any combination will create a file that Acrobat X Pro can understand.

Here's some screenshots of a 3D text layer created in PS CS6 with a bitmap on the front face and two solid colors for the extrusion and bevel. Exported using ECMA1-JPEG and dropped straight into Acrobat X Pro with the default options.

_PS-setup.jpg_ax3d.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to browla48614861

I have been having a similiar issue. I am creating a simple 3D file in Photoshop CS6 Extended. I take a cirlce, color it yellow, then take it into 3D. I don't have any extrusion on it and just have a slight pillow inflate. I render the file and then export the 3D layer to .u3d using the default options. Then take and drop it onto the Acrobat Pro X app icon. Then when it opens in Acrobat make color of the cicrle is offset by about 35 percent and leaves the remain shape gray. It's like the color file and the shape file have been shifted. Very strange. I don't get it consistently but it has happened about 25 percent of the time. Very frustrating. Anyone have any ideas?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points