Skip navigation
memeLab
Currently Being Moderated

How to whitelist local content so Flash can play from a DVD?

Jul 30, 2012 10:42 PM

Tags: #flash #flowplayer #dvd_creation #local_content

I'm creating a DVD for rural communities which packages an offline copy of a website (captured using httrack).  The original site contains many Vimeo embeds, and have replaced these with flowplayer pointing to mp4s on the DVD. 

My problem is, the videos appear blank until the user enables local content like so:

**To specify trusted locations for developer testing**

1. On the Advanced panel, under Developer Tools, click Trusted location settings and then click Add.

2. Enter the location on your computer that contains the trusted content, or click Browse files or Browse for folder to locate the file or folder to trust. If you specify a folder instead of a file, then all of its contents (including subfolders) become trusted as well.

3. Click Confirm to add the domain, file, or folder to the list of trusted locations.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlayer/LSM/WS6aa5ec234ff3f285139dc561 12e3786b68c-7ff0.html#WS6aa5ec234ff3f285139dc56112e3786b68c-7feb

I'm concerned that this makes the content much less accessible for user is a school environment.

Is there a way to whitelist my content?

Thanks, Tim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to memeLab

Are you simply loading the website into a StageWebView which has pages containing content such as these embedded videos? If so, what do your relative URLs look like to the content? Is it like path/to/file.mp4 or something else?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to memeLab

The dialog you are getting usually comes from a Flash attempt to connect to the Internet. Since you are attempting to use only offline sources (at least that's what it sounds like), you should not be seeing that dialog.

Possible causes are links in the <head> to online javascript files or a section in the <object> that links to Adobe to get the latest player version.

You'll have to eliminate all on-line links from any of the code used to place the Flash on the page.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

Httrack should get all CDN and head sources to save locally so that shouldn't be a problem.

What you really need to watch out for is javascript loading something external, such as using Google Analytics which is typically (best practice) placed at the bottom of the page. If any javascript libraries attempt to connect to the net you will spawn that dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:53 AM   in reply to memeLab

Are you certain flowplayer itself is not contacting any internet source? Freeware may tend to do that for metrics but would be stated in the EULA.

An easy way to know is to download something that can sniff all http and https traffic (assuming they wouldn't go low level tcp or udp).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler_(software)

Official site:

http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

It has demo videos because it's pretty low level software to show you how to look for http requests that are going out of your NIC. All of them, from every application, or you can target specific applications. That can help you find out if anything is being loaded externally.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to memeLab

Have you tried disabling the media portion (whether flowplayer or videojs, etc) to see if that's what is even the issue? I think you should begin to comment out easy parts to remove from the app until you really isolate where this dialog is being generated.

There's a few situations the dialog can come up but ultimately flash thinks you're trying to load content off an alternate, untrusted source. You need to isolate what that is.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to memeLab

Haha I assumed being you were here that you were containing viewing all this HTML inside a Flash application (Projector or AIR). So this has literally been about directly loading HTML files into a browser and you thought the flash flowplayer was the issue about loading the HTML/Video/SWF off the DVD?

Sorry, I assumed you were using flash for this being the flash forum.. That's why I mentioned StageWebView (the way you'd display HTML pages inside a flash application). It wasn't making any sense as I've done this quite a bit with no issues.

Browsers treat the viewing of offline content poorly. They always have. IE is extremely suspicious about everything and anything, especially something that requires an activeX (flash) to load binary content. If it's just pictures and text IE is fine, but once you load a SWF you're requiring IE to load an activeX plugin that it cannot guarantee won't harm your system (even if it is flash, it needs to treat it agnostically).

If you can't wrap the site inside an application and want to directly view it off a DVD you will never completely get around all browsers jobs. Their job is to inform you when the browser is about to "lose 100% control" over the content, e.g. load a plugin. HTML5 will solve that as you said.

In fact you may even stick your DVD in, browse to a SWF or media file, right-click, hit properties and see that it is considered untrusted content in Windows (although I see you're on a Mac in the video). On Windows with standard security you are prompted with extra dialogs and sometimes even need to press an "Unblock" button on these files for them to even be allowed, depending on your security.

Again sorry for misreading. You won't get around the issue you're having and trust me, you want your browser to distrust everything without your permission.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points