Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS5 droplets not working in OSX Mountain Lion

Aug 1, 2012 3:00 AM

Tags: #photoshop_cs5 #droplets #mountain_lion

Just upgraded to Mountain Lion and my Photoshop droplets are not working. Have remade them all, even re-installed Photoshop, deleted prefs etc .... they are just not working. If you drop something on the droplet they go to launch (you see a flicker in the dock) then they don't.

Droplets work fine on "Lion".

Exactly the same issue we had when we upgraded to Lion last year. so am hoping Adobe will release a fix?

Anybody else having this issue? whatabout with CS6 ?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to sunsetdesign

It would take an act of Congress for Adobe to release any more fixes to Photoshop CS5.

It's a shame the operating system has changed to make some features of the product not work, but why do you feel it's an Adobe problem, since it was clearly broken by Apple?

Yes, I realize we all pay more for this Adobe software than for the operating system software, so our expectations are necessarily high of Adobe, but...  You're using a product that was developed literally years ago on a system where the manufacturer is literally ruthless about not paying attention to compatibility.  I don't know whether it's any better in Photoshop CS6, but even then it's a product that's already developed and released on an operating system no one's seen before.

Honestly, I would suggest for anyone reading this that unless you have a burning need for a fix that only Mountain Lion can provide, you hold off on updating the OS until Apple works through the problems.  Yes, I realize we wouldn't expect to see many reports from people claiming "I upgraded to Mountain Lion, and surprisingly everything works!", but there do seem to be a lot of the other type.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When Lion, 10.7, first came out, Rosetta was completely abandonded (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)). Droplets still relied on PowerPC code until the 12.0.1 update. Now the Droplet code is Intel native.

Most likely, new permissions changes are the root of the problem (as seems to happen with every new OSX update). I haven't updated to 10.8 yet, but we'll see if others make similar reports.

I'd test Droplets in a new user account, or better yet, the root user.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to Brett N

Hi Brett,

the exact same thing happened to me and my co-workers machines. If I make a new user account and create a new action and droplet there it works without any problems.

I do not want to create a new user just to make droplets work again, so do you have any tips to how I can make my it work on my user again?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to Wetouch

We have the following documentation for when an issue works on one user account but not another:

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific | Adobe software | Mac OS

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to Brett N

So I tried to do everything on that list, but the issue still continues to haunt the machines. It's very weird that this happens, but I will have to keep trying different stuff because I do not want to create a new user just for this small issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to sunsetdesign

I have done the same as you sunsetdesign and it does work for one time only.

I should also mention that I am on CS6, but I have tried with the CS5 I have on the machine and the same problem consists there.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to sunsetdesign

+1 for this causing a world of pain.

may the force be with you photoshop devs in fixing this,

pete

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 5:57 PM   in reply to c41

hey does anyone know if this issue would be resolved by doing a complete reinstall of Mountain Lion, and the CS6? i use a lot of droplets and this issue is a killer for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to c41

I'd say just using a new user account would be a lot easier than that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to Brett N

i tried a new user account but it didnt make any difference.

to confirm - if i create a new user account will i be able to use droplets i had made in PS CS6 pre-updating to Mountain Lion? or will it just enable me to create new working droplets ?

I tried, and couldnt seem to get either option working - but perhaps i was doing something wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to c41

Ah, well, it's working for others. Your computer may be worse off, so the OS reinstall may be the better path.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Brett N

I think I'm extra stuffed because the droplets have save-for-web actions in them tied to folders within my user account. So when I try to run them from a new user they fail as they can't find the folder. Have tried a droplet decompiler script to turn them back into actions but that doesn't work (error/unknown resource or something)

Can you confirm that a fresh reinstall of everything should fix the issue though? ie: I'm trying to ascertain whether creating droplets in PS6 in mountain lion works at all - or if this is all an issue relating to users who have upgraded from Lion (without a clean install)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to Brett N

Brett N - Thanks for your help. I managed to enable read/write access to the necessary folders inside my original users home folder but for the new user - and now i can run the droplets - so this solution is workable. Thanks for getting me on the right track.

In terms of future updates (and forgive me for not understanding fully why this issue is being caused) should this be fixed in a future Adobe update - or Apple OS update? just so i know what to keep an eye out for...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to Brett N

I just want to add that since creating a new user account seemed to fix the problem I decided to do a clean install of the OS and create a whole new user from scratch.

The first program I installed was Photoshop CS6 and was real excited to see if droplets would work, but did they??? NO....Same god damn problem...

In other words... I am lost and a little bit frustrated because I work with photoshop for a living.

Just for the info: I did the clean install on my work machine at home, but can't do it on the one that is situated at work because there is so much stuff on it and I do not know how to downgrade with keeping all of that info.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Wetouch

C41, it's extremely common for permissions errors to occur when installing the new major release Mac OS updates. Nothing we can do on our side to prevent this.

Wetouch, are you creating a new droplet and testing, or are you testing with old droplets? If you haven't tried creating a new one and testing that, definitely give it a try. The old droplets may be damaged in some way and thus skewing your results.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 1:52 AM   in reply to Brett N

I created an action from scratch and like before doing the action via batch works fine, but the instant I make an droplet with the same action the same issue arises. Droplets just does not work

Update:

On my machine at work I found out that the reason for the droplets not working was the program Default Folder X. In Mountain Lion it breaks the droplet system. So problem solved on work station.

It still doesn't explain why droplets doesn't work on my work machine at home since on that one there were no extra programs installed except photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Wetouch

I'm curious to ppl having these issues - why the rush to update to ML? If you are truely using these computers for work there is no reason to update and risk issues with Photoshop. I am happliy on 10.6.8 and everything works great. Apple notoriously breaks things for alot of programs that I cannot recommend updating until way past release - in my opinion (now that Aple feels the need to do yearly releases) maybe now is a good time to try 10.7.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Wetouch

Going back to what you just mentioned, Wetouch. You said that a new user account worked with the droplets. Then you reinstalled the OS and Photoshop, thus working with a new user account and now it doesn't work. Something doesn't jive in this story. What's going on with this user account that you created after a reinstall of the OS that is different than the user accounts created brand new in which the droplets were working? Are you doing something special with the permissions or settings when creating the default account? Are these some sort of network account? Sharing assets or settings over a network? Part of a specific user group?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to eclic

eclic wrote:

I'm curious to ppl having these issues - why the rush to update to ML?

Some utilities i wanted to use were Lion only. The upgrade to Lion went so well I got suckered into Mountain Lion early. Truth be told - I'm enjoying the iCloud stuff in ML - sync'd notes/reminders etc - and other than this droplet issue with photoshop, my mac is running better than it ever has.

I'm still not sure if I'm looking out for an Adobe patch to fix the droplet issue, or an Apple one, (tho i can fully understand permissions problems popping up thru no fault of Adobes) but in the meantime, logging in as a different user to run some droplets once a fortnight is workable for me until it gets sorted out one way or another.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Wetouch

Wetouch wrote:

On my machine at work I found out that the reason for the droplets not working was the program Default Folder X. In Mountain Lion it breaks the droplet system. So problem solved on work station.

Wow - that was causing my problem too. I can temporarily disable Default Folder X, and can then run my old photoshop droplets in Mountain Lion. Curious turn of events - will alert the Default Folder X creator in case its something wrong on their end

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Oct 8, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to sunsetdesign

BTW, I noticed that no one mentionned the knowledgebase article about Droplets in Lion: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/droplets-dont-photoshop-cs5-cs4-1. html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Actually, my first post in this forum was a reference to the document (I just didn't supply the link... odd, I'd normally do that...)

I'll look into the Dfault Folder X business and probably update the document.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 10:45 PM   in reply to Brett N

Hi Brett,

We are having an issue here with droplets too. Running a studio with 6 macs on Photoshop cs6 13.0.04 and osx 10.8.3.

We can run the actions fine with no problem on any of these 6 macs, and we can also use the batch feature in Bridge with no issue.

However the problem is that only one of these macs can produce working droplets. We run a Standard Operating Environment so each user account is setup in the exact same way. Yet only one mac will produce working droplets. One difference we notice when creating the droplets, is that the mac that does create suscessful droplets, creates droplets with an icon of a different colour then those macs which can not create sucessful droplets. I have attached a file here showing the two different colour icons, and which one works, and which does not.

droplet problem.jpg

We have tried new user accounts, with admin rights or not, resetting photoshop settings, rebuilt all actions from scratch, but are still stuck with just one mac that can create these "darker blue" droplets that work.

Do you know what the different colour droplet icons mean? Is this key to the problem? Our internal I.T support is stumped on this problem and can not find the cause.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to patjbrown83

The lighter blue icon has CS5 colours, the darker has CS6 colours. That may be a clue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to conroy

Conroy has a point, do you have CS5 installed on the computers that are not working but not on the machine that is? If so, was CS5 reinstalled after CS6 was already installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to Brett N

Hi Brett,

I can confirm CS5 in not installed on any of the computers. And we are definately using cs6 on all Computers. 

I did suspect that the colours were representing cs5, but couldnt work out how / or why this would happen, or if it is even a root cause of the failed droplets.

Screen Shot 2013-06-03 at 11.44.41 AM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to patjbrown83

Was CS5 ever on these computers that are not working (and maybe was not ever on the one that is)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 10:51 PM   in reply to Brett N

Hi,

CS5 has not been installed. I asked our I.T contractor what the details were of the install, Here is his response.

"Clean install of CS6 using AAMEE 2 to generate the installer packages. Users are running as regular users, not administrators."

To double check, I tried loading the cs5 cleamup utility, it didnt detect any cs5 files. Screengrab attached

Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 3.48.47 PM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 4, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to patjbrown83

I think a lot of the questions are oriented toward this fundamental question:

Could the Droplet that's not working have been created on a system that was running Photoshop CS5?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Answer to your question is no. These are not old droplets, rather the droplets that we are trying to create are new, created using CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to patjbrown83

If you check the Cleanup Script on the computer that does work, does the Photoshop CS6 driver also show up when you select CS5 from the drop down? That's not how it appears on my system...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 9:02 PM   in reply to Brett N

Hi Brett,

Sorry its been a while since replies. Got busy here.

I ran the cleanup utility on the computer that does work. CS6 driver also shows up, same as the screengrab above.

I noted that CS6 is not listed as an option in the drop down. Maybe I was using the CS5 cleanup utility to demonstrate this? Either way, the utilty does not show any CS5 drivers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points