Skip navigation
jgp099
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat 9.5.1 BSOD

Aug 1, 2012 12:24 AM

Tags: #install #bsod #uninstall #virus #malware #acrobat_9.5.1 #corrupt_drivers

(Windows 7 PC) - Have been using Acrobat successfully for about two years. Yesterday, was creating a PDF when BSOD, page fault, occurred. Did a scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and found that several viruses had gotten through - two Java exploits and Trojan:DOS/Alureon.A.

Proceeded with clean-up with MS Security Essentials and with Defender Offline and they claim all viruses have been removed.

Acrobat 9.5.1 continued to get the same BSOD condition - initialize the program, it churns by itself and faults in about 10 seconds or so. Attempted uninstall - failed with BSOD.

Used MS Fixit which identified uninstall issues and 'corrupt patch registry keys' - MS Fixit claimed to fix the uninstall issue but could not fix "corrupt patch registry keys'.  Next uninstall attempt failed with installer note "This action is valid only for products that are currently installed".

Next step - renamed Program Files (x86)Adobe/Acrobat folder to get that folder 'out of the way'. Reinstalled Acrobat from original CD - Acrobat 9.0 --- some install alerts flew by but the install seemed to complete successfully and a new Acrobat file was created within the Adobe tree - and several drivers were replaced within Windows.  No change in outcome - the installed Acrobat 9.0 thrashes to a page fault BSOD all by itself after initialization.

Attempted to to update 9.0 to 9.1 via the Adobe web site but the installer couldn't find Acrobat - "...program missing or patch may update a different version...." . Ran MS Fixit again with focus on "install" and Fixit identified "corrupt patch registry keys" - and then claimed to have been able to fix that issue but the version update continues to fail with ".... program missing ....".

I am prepared to get Acrobat X Standard to get past these problems if that seems reasonable. It's possible I might have to do a complete OS reload but I'd like to avoid that especially if I get Acrobat X.

I'd appreciate suggestions from the Adobe "pros".

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 1:29 AM   in reply to jgp099

Acrobat Cleaner Tool

And flush the config data in your user directory as well as the global Defaujlt/ All Users folder.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Moving this discussion to the Acrobat Installation & Update Issues forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to jgp099

I do not know the answer yet.  The same problem of BSOD occurred to me when I open up any pdf after 3 years of using the same system without incident.

Have struggled for the past week to reinstall Acrobat but could not even do it without BSOD.

Last night, I finally got the combination of tools below to remove any trace of the adobe clean.  (listed in order of discovery, but should be used in reverse order).

1. Revo Uninstaller - after running Adobe Cleaner Tool, run this

2. Adobe Cleaner Tool - after manually delete everything with unlocker possible, run this.

3. Unlocker - I used this to delete all the stubborn files in Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0 prior to runing Adobe Cleaner Tool. Without this step, the BSOD keeps on shutting the system down.

However, upon reinstalling CS5, the same problem occured.

Am in the process of wiping out everything again and skip Acrobat for now, until a fix can be developed by

Something occurred with the latest updates from Adobe.  I couldn't even update Adobe Flash prior to doing all of this.  Revo Uninstaller showed that I had 3 versions of acrobat installed. That was just insane.  This was when I realized that the issue is with Adobe and not the hardware (which I spent 4 days trying to ascertain, including buying new RAM).

I also have NeatWorks so I have wiped this one out as well.  Will reinstall later.

Hope this helps and that Adobe does something about this whole thing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points