• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

layers in layer palette are disappearing making this unusable

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2012 Jul 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document with over 100 layers in it ...which is pretty normal for what we do and Illustrator in CS6 has a big issue with the layer palette .....as you scroll down the palette the layer names disappear ...as you run the mouse over the layers they re-appear and then disappear again ...this issue makes the software useless as I can't see the layers  .....this happens on all the documents I've been working on ....anybody getting the same thing and anybody go any ideas of how to fix this or is it Adobe's issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good that you have given all this inforamtion aboiut your system and stuff like that but if you wnt to vent it is important you state so and if you wish help you have to give us enough info so we can respond intelligently and make suggestions.

But off hand I will repeat what I repeated about  100 times in the lat two months.

Do you have plugins, have you loaded new fonts, free fonts, have you trashed your preferences, have you conflicting software installed, did you update any software recently have you upgraded non Adobe software lately and have you repaired your permissions.

And the most important question is why are you using software that is unuseable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just made document and made 1053 layers and have no problem scrolling them.

You have a corruption and or a conflict. And don't blame me just pointing you in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't bother responding if you're going to be patronising Wade ...find something more constructive to do with your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I should add that I was not venting about Adobe ...meerly pointing out that I can't use it if I can't see the layers ....I've been using Illustrator since 1989 and I have always been a fan ...a helpful approach would be to make suggestions without the underlying patronising tone ..I always find people respond better to that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

153 layers no problems. that was a typo.

YThe answer to solving your problem is in my first posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one other fix to this problem by going into the Panel options and click other under row size and type in 50 pixels and the pallette will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2012 Jul 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try increasing the width of the layers panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't replicate the issue here.

Operating System?

Layer panel options?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same layer panel problems in Illustrator CS6 on two systems in our office. Both are brand new Macs running OS X 10.7.4. I have tried repairing user permissions, changing Layer Panel options, resizing Layer Panel, etc.

Layer thumbnails and names dissapear. Layer tool icons (new layer, delete layer, etc.) dissappear. Sometimes they reappear when moused over.

Really frustrating. There must be a solution to this.

layerpallet.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Font Expolere X ?

Heard that there are couple of issues with the new update though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, we are using Suitcase Fusion 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered that it only happens when I make one layer a Template layer. Everything is fine until I make any of the layers a Template, then, instantly the layer names and thumbnails dissappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dis you read what I wrote in Post #1

Now you know why I also wrote that I have rerpeated this a hundred times before.

all you have to do is read iut then follow up on it and you will solve your problem.

Do you have plugins, have you loaded new fonts, free fonts, have you trashed your preferences, have you conflicting software installed, did you update any software recently have you upgraded non Adobe software lately and have you repaired your permissions.

I say you have conflicting software install in some form or the other it could be a plug in and update or third party software. Do what you have to do and you will not only solve your problem but you will also find the source of the problem.

In the last two months situation where to the user it appeared to be a bug it has turned out to be conflicting software at least 6 times and this will be the seventh time.

You know what you installed or updated we do not know.

I rrun the same system you have and it does not happen here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really, Wade, your condescending tone is unnecessary. You should ask yourself if you come to this forum to actually be helpful or to belittle others and feel superior.

But just to humor you...

I have already trashed my preferences, repaired permissions and updated all Adobe software. There has been no new software or fonts installed since installing CS6. The only plug-in used is Extensis Sutcase Fusion 4 Font Auto Activation and I have uninstalled that with no effect on the problem.

We have four systems running all of the same software and os. Two of them have this problem and two of them don't.

Obviously, this is not an isolated case. I'm looking for someone who has had this problem and fixed it or would have a more helpful suggestion.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was being condensending you gave no information abou your system how is anyone to know if you are serious or if you are just ranting.

To point out what i mean after several dayus you are still asking trhe same question has anyone else experience this problem and has the solution. I gave you the best advise it is a conflict as simple as that, you do not like the answer I can't do anything about your reaction.

I am giving you sound advice from expereince dealing with these matters and not to brag I have help a lot of people overcome their own issues so they can say hey I was wrong and thank me.

Not all of them thank me and when you find out that i am correct nbeither will you and I know that from experience as well.

Since you do not want my help fine I hope you work it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crisper_68 wrote:

I have already trashed my preferences, repaired permissions and updated all Adobe software. There has been no new software or fonts installed since installing CS6. The only plug-in used is Extensis Sutcase Fusion 4 Font Auto Activation and I have uninstalled that with no effect on the problem.

I don't spend a lot of time in Illustrator, and I'm a windows useres, but humor me for a moment. The kind of problem you describe is very often caused by corrupt prefs, and Suitcase is very often associated with odd behavior over in InDesign where I am active.

Did you really remove the Suitcase plugin, or just deactivate it? Deactivation may not be sufficient. And did you also trash the prefs again after removing the plugin?

Do you have the same problem if you create a new user account and use that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter Spier wrote:

Did you really remove the Suitcase plugin, or just deactivate it? Deactivation may not be sufficient. And did you also trash the prefs again after removing the plugin?

Do you have the same problem if you create a new user account and use that?

Thanks Peter, I know that Suticase can be buggy. I've completely removed the plug-in and trashed the preferences again after removing. Problem still exists.

I haven't tried a new user account yet, but, if I have time, I'll try to do that and do a fresh install of Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that Scott doesn't see this, but Jean-Claude does. Hard to call that a bug, but tough to tell waht might be the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, just tried it with a new user account and the palette worked correctly.

That still doesn't help me, though, as I'm not going to switch everything to a new user account, I've got too much built into this one. I still need to pinpoint WHAT is causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that perfectly. What you've established, though is that the user account is corrupt in some way and it isn't abug in the program itself.

Obviously trashing the prfs was not enough by itself. Ove in ID John Hawkinson has made a list of additional files on the Mac to trash when pregs are not enough (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4315274) and I'b bet there are similar files for Illy. You might want to try killing those next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter. The info in that thread looked promising, but...

I trashed the following files:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS6

~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.Illustrator

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS6 Settings

~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Illustrator.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Illustrator.plist.lockfile

~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.Illustrator.savedState

Restarted.

No luck. Problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remember I 'm out of my comfort zone here, but you could try making a backup copy of the current user library, then repalce it with the one from the new account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... I was unsuccessful in replacing one user library file with another. OS X Lion doesn't allow that, as far as I can tell. Unless someone has info on how to do that....

I still don't know how that would help me find the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't  help you but there are several users contributing to this thred tht should know how to guide you to replacing the file that Lion is preventing you from replacing.

It's a fairly simple procedure you can do a search if you want on how to do this. But as I say I can't directly help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines