Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

unable to change colour of text

Aug 1, 2012 9:03 AM

I have a simple illustrator document with some text on it.  The text is green.  I wish to add additional text to the document in the exact shade of green that the current text is in.  Believe it or not, I can't figure out how to do this.  I can select the text I want to to be green and select a colour from the swatches menu, but the shades of green available there are not the exact shade of green that I need.  I tried selecting my newly written text, click the eye dropper tool, and then clicked on my old text (which is in the shade of green that I want) but this frustratingly changes the font of my newly written text to the same font as the original text, without changing it's colour.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.  Please be verbose in your response/instructions.  Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

Hi

Select the green text, double click on the fill icon to open the color picker.

.Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 9.15.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 9.19.18 AM.png

Copy the Hex Code for the color (should be #xxxxxx).

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 9.15.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 9.15.36 AM.png

Click on your other text, open up the Color picker.

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 9.15.58 AM.png

Paste and click OK!

Screen Shot 2012-08-01 at 9.16.06 AM.png

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

Clueless in Adobe wrote:

...I tried selecting my newly written text, click the eye dropper tool, and then clicked on my old text (which is in the shade of green that I want) but this frustratingly changes the font of my newly written text to the same font as the original text, without changing it's colour.

Try the same but this time hold Shift when clicking with the Eyedropper Tool. This should work if the default settings of the tool have not been altered. To change the settings, double click the Eyedropper Tool in the Tools panel. The default settings is checkmark on all options (make sure to click the arrow in front of Appearance to reveal all sub-options).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

These are both great suggestions. As a third option, you could also create a swatch to be used over and over. You would select the text in green, then click and hold on the colored square in the toolbar, then drag the swatch over to your swatches palette. Next you would select the text you want to be green, then click the green swatch you just put into your palette.

swatch.png

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to EricaLynneLarson

Makibg the new swatch is the best way I find and then yoiu can make the color global so if you wish to change the color of objecs made with that swatch you do so with a couple of clicks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

Unfortunately I cannot access your file. The link will not load.

What happens when you try to create a new swatch?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

You must first select the green text, open the color picker, and copy the hex code. Click OK or Cancel.

Then select the black text, open the color picker, highlight all 6 zeros and paste the hex code you just copied. Then click ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

Okay, so there seems to be some other problem. Can you take a screenshot of your illustrator document. I can't get the link to work, either.

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

Can you post a screen shot with the text selected and the Appearance panel. Color can be applied to the text at any one of several levels and it's hard to tell where it might be.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

I checked your file and it appears that you have a corrupted color on the green text and also a corrupted color on the blue swatch in your swatches panel - It doesn't show any color values in the color panel, all fields are empty. Trying to use these corrupted colors on any other object will corrupt (contaminate LOL) that object too not only with corrupted color but also with corrupted appearance that can not be cleared. In the layers panel objects with these corrupted colors will show the dot in the appearance column shaded which indicates altered basic appearance that can not be cleared. So, objects with these corrupted colors are useless.

To sample the corrupted color select the object with it and choose Object > Rasterize, then using the Eydroper Tool and holding Shift you can sample the color, applying it to other healthy objects, or saving it as a swatch.

I've never seen that before,

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:50 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

For those who want to check the file and have problems with the links already posted, I put it in dropbox and here's the link

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40428991/ProblemDocument.ai

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Clueless in Adobe

I figured it out!!

So, in short.. the green color you have on the word CAR is a gradient. If you look closely you can see small bits of black around the edges of the word. Black is the original color of the text, and the green gradient is sitting on top of it as an appearance. It's a bit of a hassle that you cannot just apply a gradient color to live text but here is how you work around it.

1. Save the green color (gradient) as a swatch by selecting the word CAR and dragging the fill icon over to your swatches panel.

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.31.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.31.28 PM.png

2. Next, select the text that you want to change (the word "Within"). Change it so it has no fill and no stroke.

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.32.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.32.10 PM.png

3. With that same word selected, open the appearance panel. In the panel flyout menu, choose Add New Fill...

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.32.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.32.44 PM.png

4. It will automatically choose black. Just open the fill option and choose the swatch you made it step 1.

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.33.11 PM.png

5. Bam! Here is your desired fill.

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.33.20 PM.png

6. As an extra step, if you would like to get rid of the black text that is peeping out from behind the green on the word CAR just use the Type tool and highlight the word car.

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.34.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.34.32 PM.png

7. In the Fill section, Click the small thumbnail of black to select it and then click the option for None (white box with red slash) to remove it.

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.59.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.34.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.34.49 PM.png

8. Here you go, clean lines!

Screen Shot 2012-08-06 at 3.34.55 PM.png

I'm not sure if you meant to have a green gradient on your text, or if you just wanted one color green. Here, I've outline the solution for applying a gradient to live text and replicating the same gradient on other pieces of text.

I hope this helps solve your problem if it hasn't already been solved!

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 1:18 AM   in reply to mjarrott

Good job mjarrott! Gradient with all colors the same

But using the eyedropper should sample the appearance which was the original problem. May be the Appearance option was not checked in the Eyedropper's options.

Easy way to copy a gradient to an object without a gradient is first select the source then the target object and click the gradient swatch in the Gradient panel.

I realized that using eyedropper with holding Shift doesn't sample the color of text with gradient and even other objects if the gradient is not the only fill. Also another weirdness is you can assign a gradient to live text but it will not show until outlined and if you add another fill with a color, then trying to sample the added fill color with holding Shift will not work and instead the gradient fill will be sampled. I call this sloppy programing

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points