Skip navigation
jmlphotography
Currently Being Moderated

Keyword Heirarchy has disappeared

Jul 31, 2012 7:59 AM

Tags: #bridge #keywords #keyword_hierarchy

Over the last 10 years I have developed an extensive keyword heirarchy.  I will often go to images from years back and add new key words based on keywords added to recent work.  What I have done is open the folder in bridge, click on keywords in the keywords tab and then select the photos where I want to add more recent keywords.  I then put a check mark in the box next to the keyword I want to add and bridge adds the keyword to the file.

Yesterday when I tried to do that my heirarchy had disappeared.  The generic bridge heirarchy is there and whatever keywords I orginally selected are there, but they are no longer in the categories I so painstakingly created over the last 10 years.  I assume that whatever happened is now irreversable and that I will need to revisit each and every image I've taken over the last 10 years to retag them.  I'm sick about this but am hoping someone can at least tell me there is a way to recreate the originally heirarchy once and have it applied to all my folders.  If I can't do that then I will not only have to re keyword each image, I will have to recreate the keyword heirarchy for each folder.  Very, depressing.

I am using CS5 on a PC.

Hope someone can help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to jmlphotography

As they say in the papers "sorry for your loss".  But seriously don't think all is lost.

I would reset the prefences to see if you just got a glitch.  Hold down Crtl key and start Bridge.  Will get a reset windown with 3 options.

If that does not work, go to C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS5.  Click on the keywords fle.  Note: appdata is a hidden file. 

If you get this back I strongly suggest you occasionally make a backup of your keywords to a seperate file.  In the keywords panel click in upper right corner to get drop down box.  Select Export and save file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to jmlphotography

Do you have any other version of Bridge?  If so open it and hopefull it should have the corrrect heirarchy.  Then export the keyword file and copy to CS5..  Or go in and copy the keywords.xml file and then past in CS5.

Not a computer guy, but perhaps you can reset the computer to a set point before this happened?

You are not the first that has had this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 6:39 PM   in reply to jmlphotography

Here is one link http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875464

If you were at it for 10 years have you deleted all previous versions?  Was thinking if you had CS4 you could at least get part of it back.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points