Skip navigation
paulmatos
Currently Being Moderated

Changing EXE title, broken in Flash Player 11?

Jul 30, 2012 12:01 PM

Hi all,

I know there are a lot of these topics out there, but all the ones I found seem to be quite old and do not address the issue I am having.

I am looking to change the title of flash exe that I have outputted. Normally in the past I would do this using a tool like Resource Hacker by Angus Johnson which allowed me to modify the particular string resource inside of the exe that was tied to the title of the window. I have receantly upgraded to CS6 and now it seems when I try and do this the string resource that I modified before is no longer there, and I can find no corresponding string for the title of the EXE. I have tried several other resource modifiers and have still not been able to find it.

Is this perhaps intentional by Adobe? Do they not want me modifing the title or am I just doing it wrong/not seeing the resource?

I have heard that it can be done through code in Flash Builder, what about in AS2 Flash?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to paulmatos

In AIR yes you can use the NativeWindow's title property:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/reference/html/flash/display/NativeWin dow.html

Not sure if that helps but in AS2.0 I don't think you can change it without such methods as you mentioned.

I myself use MDM Zinc (mostly) and Screentime's mProjector (less often) to change window characteristics, advance functionality and change window characteristics, like title, on Flash Projectors.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to paulmatos

While I like AIR, if I have no use for components or Flex and I'm doing a kiosk, I stick closely to Flash SWF + Zinc Projector. It has a great API full of goodies that go beyond what AIR can do.

It can be argued that AIR can use native extensions so that might not be completely true, but Zinc has had them (called plugins) and they're far easier to develop than AIR native extensions. Plus, half of what you might want to make a native extension for is already included in Zinc as a built in library. I only have Zinc 3 but I still use it to stick to just AS3 projects (no AIR), make transparent/custom shaped applications, change window title and easily set application icons.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to paulmatos

You're welcome and good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers