Skip navigation
kmgraphic
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge Crashing with Mountain Lion

Jul 30, 2012 9:01 AM

This is bad. I upgraded to Mountain Lion and by large I am very happy with it. No problems with Photoshop CS5 (can't afford to upgrade just yet) and Illustrator CS4, all working as expected. BUT... Bridge has completely refused to work and I am panicing as I have to use this virtually on a daily basis.

It will open, but the moment you try to use it, it just crashes. All updates as far as I know are installed and I am desperate. Currently have work sitting and waiting to be done and I am becalmed. Any and all advice urgently needed.

Thank you

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge/general

Boilerplate-text:

Are the applications and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

Wish I could help, but add me to the getting longer list of people for whom CS5 Bridge is an unusable program with the upgrade to Mountain Lion.    There's a several other thread floating around about this in forums here and elsewhere.    Hope the get a fix soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to ftemoto

ftemoto wrote:

Wish I could help, but add me to the getting longer list of people for whom CS5 Bridge is an unusable program with the upgrade to Mountain Lion.    There's a several other thread floating around about this in forums here and elsewhere.    Hope the get a fix soon.

You are correct that there are quite a few users that have problems with Bridge and Mountain Lion OS.

I hope you two are directing you complaints to Apple to fix the bugs in the OS.  ML is the latest trend to make the OS work well on a phone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to kmgraphic

Try restarting your computer and then reopening Bridge.   It seems to be working fine for me now that I've done this.   Read it elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 30, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to kmgraphic

kmgraphic wrote:

PS - I have often wondered though, re the chicken/egg scenario, is Apple supposed to make sure that Photoshop and its kin are compatible with its OS or is it the developers such as Adobe upon whom the responsibility falls to make sure that their programmes and applications are compatible with the various operating systems? I would seem to me that it was Adobe who should be doing this. Is my thinking incorrect?

I have read many an article and heard many a Photoshop guru say that there needs to be more of a hand in glove co-operative measure in place re these upgrades, as apparently Apple don't always like the developers to know (in their usual cloak and dagger way) what they are coming up with, and yet without the information the developers are hard pressed to provide updates to their own products in a timely manner. 

This is kind of a chicken/egg problem.  Have seen many (exaperated) comments about both Apple and MS that they have been notified of specific bugs with their OS, "but they have not taken any initative to correct them".  Not a computer expert, but it appears that some of the bugs are beyond correction in Adobe as it is how the new OS processes the info that has changed.  Adobe codes it to work with existing and proposed OS, but that effort like you mention only goes so far.

Good luck to all on this, and I would definately do more than just send in a computerized "error" report. I would be contacting Apple help and visiting the Apple user forum so to see how widespsred the problem is.   I have hears that Chris Cox says that the ones they get from MS are practically useless as they do not give enough info to pin the problem down.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to kmgraphic

kmgraphic wrote:

OK - did some more research and decided to try running OnyX. Post OnyX everything now works including Bridge and better than before! YIPEE!!

A Mac user in the Bridge Forum came to the same conclusion.  Not being a Mac user don't know what ONY-X is.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 31, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Looks like some kind of a one-stop fixup tool.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx

This is a genre/type of software I normally advise PC folks to beware of.  But I know nothing about this particular product.  It may be very good.

I see some comments that Mountain Lion's Gatekeeper warns people against its use and wants to send it to the trash.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

(Once a Mac you'll never go back:))  (Once a Mac I'll never go back:)).

There, I fixed it for ya.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

I know. Lots of us here and elsewhere are "still" using PC...like a bunch of folks at Intel, AMD, etc.

I tried Mac, but settled on PC. Nothing against Apple and their OS's. It's a preference, and more than that. it's a necessity.

Good luck finding your answer!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

Just to chime in and fuel the debate in ways I probably shouldn't...  I'm a career software engineer and I prefer PC over Mac.

My chief engineer, Bill, with whom I collaborate a lot, prefers Mac.  Our systems (powerful PC workstaion, powerful Mac Pro) happen to be about equally capable, in the ways that matter.  They are also, generally speaking, equally stable.  At some times, the PC is easier to solve problems with, and at other times the Mac offers functionality the PC does not.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both.  We have chosen Windows as our development environment, which he runs on his Mac via virtualization (VMware Fusion).

Notably Bill has avoided upgrading to Lion so far, and won't even consider moving up to Mountain Lion yet.  I have the latest Windows 7 updates, the latest display and other drivers, and latest updates to virtually all the software I use.

At the moment, though it is advertised that Apple adds value by vetting all drivers and other software that goes into its system updates, we are seeing (here on the forum) that more people appear to be having problems with Photoshop CS6 on the Mac.  Unfortunately, Apple leaves Mac users without the ability to seek their own solutions (e.g., downloading updated display drivers).  I suspect this happens whenever something major and new comes out (e.g., a major Photoshop release), then things settle down as the time needed to do the multi-level problem reporting, updates, and re-vetting passes, then OS updates happen.

All I can say is this:  Photoshop CS6 works quite well for me here on this PC workstation.

Apple makes the best tablets, though...  We have an iPad. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

Like your sister?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

An impression of how well Apple's new OS appears to like Adobe Photoshop CS6 so far... 

MountainLion_Small.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I shoot those babies in sight!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

kmgraphic wrote:

I think that the majority of creatives that you speak to will tell you that they use a Mac.

Not to throw yet another monkey wrench, but to the best of my knowledge the PC Photoshop market is larger.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

Almost as bad as breaking the computer's cupholder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Almost as bad as breaking the computer's cupholder.

Photoshop4.0Disc.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Oh! That one!

I don't see the ANY key! Wattsamatta you computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

I have a theme song for you:

"London Bridges Falling Down...."

I assume you are Brit, given the use of TTFN....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to kmgraphic

I don't belong to Mensa either. I joined Asnem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

…to the best of my knowledge the PC Photoshop market is larger…

That's a misconception.

According to figures provided by Microsoft and by Adobe, as well as mentioned by Jeff Schewe, the Photoshop market is roughly 50-50 Macintosh and Windows.

Adobe blogger (and former Photoshop Principal Program Manager) John Nack wrote in his blog that the "Creative Suite sales are about equally divided between Mac and Windows, with sales occasionally tipping about 60-40 in favor of the Mac."

What is much larger is the installed base of Windows boxes compared to the Mac installed base.  A big difference is also that the vast majority of Windows machines are "procured" by government entities and large corporations, while Macs tend to be bought by the individual end user.

Incidentally, the Mac is as much of a PC as any Windows machine, for PC stands simply for Personal Computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 9:36 PM   in reply to kmgraphic

kmgraphic wrote:

…must say though, that I love the integration between my iMac, iPad and iPhone with ML…

That's what Apple is counting on.  Their entire corporate strategy is directed toward integration with mobile devices.

If you read the Apple discussions boards, Mac Pro users seem to have just about given up on the future of the desktop Mac as a serious computing platform.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points