When I attempt to create a new project, I immediately get a message: "A fatal error has occured and the application is being terminated." Is anyone else having this issue?
Yes. Just downloaded the demo (wanted to try it out before buying - glad I did). I open the app, click blank project, the user interface comes up (looks like a slide with editable text boxes) and crash. Same error as you got.
Really would like to purchase this - but I need to see it work first.
Thanks. Just read this on Adobe.com. I guess Captivate isnt part of CS, but I would have thought in all the Mountain Lion testing they did, they would have at least opened some other apps.
Adobe and Apple have worked closely together to test Adobe® Creative Suite® 5, 5.5 and CS6 editions and individual products for reliability, performance and user experience when installed on Intel® based systems running Mac OS X Mountain Lion (v10.8). Earlier versions of Adobe Photoshop® (CS3 and CS4) software were also tested with Mountain Lion and there are currently no known issues.
Indeed, many folks confuse the issue by writing "Captivate CS6" and the issue there is that Captivate has never been part of the Creative Suite line of products.
Helpful and Handy Links
It may be something that's fairly easy to fix. I tried it on Snow Leopard and it works fine. Captivate's part of the eLearning Suite 6, but there's no educational pricing for that suite (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me), so if I get it, it will have to be separate from a CS suite.
Yes. Same for me. This is really terrible. Had I not read Adobe's claim that all CS6 products worked with Mountain Lion, I wouldn't have upgraded. I thought it was part of CS6 since the new version follows the "6" numbering scheme. Adobe should have been more explicit in their Mountain Lion note. I'm screwed for now.
P.S. It looks like this bug is only in Captivate 6; 5.5 can create a new blank project, at least. I'm going to have to try working with 5.5 until Adobe steps up here.
Can you try deleteing Captivate preferences and try working on Captivate.
How to delete preferences:
Still captivate crashes even after deleting preferences, please send us the crash dump created under root (/) folder to below mail id.
This does not fix the problem. I'm sending what I think is the crash log to
the provided email address. (I don't know what "under root (/) folder"
means; I'm not a programmer.)
Also, since some people are having this problem using the demo—and
therefore don't already have Captivate preferences—corrupted preferences
are obviously not the issue.
I just experienced this same error—ssemingly—when working in an already-created project when I selected to display the Themes panel. I've sent the crash log to the same email address to which I sent the earlier crash log.
I think I've figured this out. It has nothing to do with Mountain Lion, since both platforms are experiencing this problem.
The issue, for me, was apparently a corrupted user font database or cache. I moved all of the fonts out of my user Fonts folder and restarted Captivate 6—I was able to create a new blank project without crashing for the first time. Little by little, I added all of my fonts back in, relaunching Captivate over and over and trying to create a new project, all without problems. Even when all of my fonts were back in place, Captivate successfully created a new project.
All I can figure is that when I first removed all the fonts, a new, uncorrupted font database or cache was created, solving the problem.
Hope this helps.
I'm glad this worked for you, too. This suggests that any of the font-cache cleaning apps like Mountain Lion Cache Cleaner or Cocktail might fix this, too, at least on the Mac.
I wonder if Adobe's made note of this solution yet, and if they have anything to say.
Thanks for this tip, robbyroland. I was back and forth with Adobe help until my trial version expired and was never able to figure out what was wrong. I recently purchased Captivate through work and was back trying to figure out what the problem was when I came across your solution.
For me the Windows Office Compatible font collection caused the problem. I disabled that and everything is working well. Thanks for sharing!
Europe, Middle East and Africa