• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Arno Pro small cap numerals: why so high?

Engaged ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just designed a large postcard to announce an art exhibition and used Arno Pro throughout, mostly small caps. Why are the small cap numerals so much 'higher' than the letters? They just looked too large. Tried reducing the font size of the numerals, but this wasn't  the best approach. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the "Proportional Oldstyle" option for the numerals and see if you like it any better.

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Photoshop CS5. Don't see the option for proportional Oldstyle. Perhaps that is just when using inDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in a flyout menu in the Character panel - click the tiny arrow at the top right and choose OpenType from the flyout menu, then scroll to "Oldstyle."

-Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks Bill - I had no idea there were further options hiding below the surface! Will Adobe never cease to create these complications!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem myself. I tried using the Proportional Oldstyle setting for a numeral in Myriad Pro and now the size is right but the design of the numeral doesn't quite match the text in small caps that precedes it. It simply looks out of place. Maybe other fonts match up better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for posting. This is a wonderful typeface, suitable for sophisticated layouts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines