• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing file size to specific target (500kb)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

I have a 6mb file and the lowest I can reduce it is to 2.5M. How can I get this file smaller and hopefully, right around 500KB?

Thanks

Rob

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a case where you should edit the original file. Do you have images in your pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are images and it is a file produced by a hired firm. I am reducing it to put in our database for reference. We want smaller files there. I have acrobat pro and hope to do this myself as compared to paying them to simply reduce a file.

Yes, there are images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat are you using? It probably can be done with the PDF Optimizer, but the location depends on your Acrobat version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Xpro.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to optimize the file but get a warning that it contains renderable text. I failed to mention that... sorry. I moved the slider all the way left in my attempt.

thank you both for the help, thus far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no slider in the Optimize PDF dialog. You may have attempted to adjust in the wrong place.

In Acrobat X Pro, choose File > Save As > Optimized PDF. Click on the Audit Space Usage button at the upper right. If you can, post a screen capture of that dialog. It will help determine where the large file size is coming from?

The warning about "renderable text": What exactly does that warning say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely from images.

8-1-2012 4-58-52 PM.png

Teh warning says it contains renderable text, thats about it. I just tried this method, choosing to reduce to 100DPI and it says there are image masks that are not downsampled and the size is no where close to small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you get when you reduce them to 72 ppi like this:

72ppi.jpg

You can't do anything within Acrobat (that I know of) to deal with the "image mask" message.

You might be able to reduce further if you open each image in the publication in Photoshop and reduce the resolution in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 02, 2012 Aug 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It appears I am stuck, so to speak.

I did, for what it's worth, open the pdf in Ai and save as smallest pdf to reduce it to 1mb which is better than 2.5mb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not have any bookmarks and such in the PDF, just a simple PDF, then you might simply try printing to the Adobe PDF printer to create a new PDF. Before you do that, you will probably want to use a variation of the Standard job settings. However, you should consider 2 modifications: 1. Embed ALL fonts as subsets and 2. go to the 72dpi on the graphics. You might consider a larger dpi, but it seems your graphics are the major problem. As a test, you might just go ahead with the std job settings as is, then play around with modifications. For an archive, you should embed all of the fonts as a standard practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines