Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to output .M4v files from PE 10?

Aug 1, 2012 3:16 PM

Hi

I have an Apple iPod, it will only take .m4v video files.

I have been converting them after exporting them but I'm having some problems with that.

Some of the files won't play on the iPad even after being converted or at least iTunes say they won't!

Since it thinks they won't it won't upload them to the iPad3.

They will play if I move then there with Dropbox.

But I havne't gotten any ideas from the IPod forum.

Anyway I thought that if I could create them directly in PE that maybe it would solve the problem.

Thanks for the help...

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Which version of PrE are you working with?

In PrE 10, under the QuickTime option (IIRC), there are Presets for Mobile Devices, and I think that there is one for iPod. Have you tried that, only to have it fail?

I have never output any video for iPod, or iPad, so am only going from memory here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Are you aware that M4v is only the Video Stream with no Audio muxed into it?

Some users have output to MP4, and also MOV (usually just changing that extension), with success.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 10:10 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

With my PrE10 and an old iPod Touch, I do Share>Mobile Phones and Players>Apple iPod, iPad and iPhone>Presets (button) and drop down to the device of choice.  There are a lot of Apple choices.   Then I put the rendered file in iTunes and paste it to the the iPod. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to whsprague

Thank you for stepping in, as I have not output for either iPod, or iPad.

Mike is correct, in that one must go though iTunes, but as for you, that works fine for most folk.

@Mike, good luck, and I think that Whsprague has the steps that you need. With the Mobile Devices Preset, with the correct settings, I would think that Handbrake would not be needed in the workflow, but could be wrong.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

I looked up M4V and got, "it is a video file format developed by Apple and is very close to the MP4 format. The differences are the optional Apple's DRM copyright protection, and the treatment of AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio which is not standardized for the MP4 container"

Are you trying to re-work copywrite video files or just make iPod/iPad compatable content form your own projects?  If the former, I doubt it will work well.  If the latter, use PrE to create something besides M4V.  I looked briefly at an Apple site and found, " In general, your iPod can play H.264 and MPEG-4 video in .mov, .m4v, and .mp4 file formats."  That leaves at least two choices.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Nice to see that Lucy is still around, and doing well. I fondly recall her foray into an ancient graveyard, some years ago.

I'll have to play about with my iPod, and then, if my wife will allow, her iPad. I have just never done anything but music and stills (slideshows basically), for the iPod, so am very unsure of how to tell you to proceed.

There are others around here, who do this fairly often, and will likely have helpful instructions.

I would also suggest that you post the forums (Communities) at Muvipix.com, as there are many there, who do output various file types to iPod and iPad, and can likely help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Nohjekim wrote:

........Here is a link to a short sample... Less then a minute.

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff491/nohjekim/My%20iPad%20Videos/ ?action=view&current=Vegetarian.mp4

Now I am really impressed.  Even though I thought I knew how to help, it is clear you are light years ahead of me.  I apologize for my arogance.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

There shouldn't be any need for you to resort to Handbrake. Have you tried Share> Computer> QuickTime> Advanced and trying the H264 or MPEG4 codecs? They both produce .mov files.

2.png

Or Share> Mobile> Apple iPod, iPad, or iPhone> Apple iPad Widescreen? This produces an MP4 file.

1.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Those were the general setting that I was alluding to, but as I have not done, what you need to do, had to wait for an expert, such as Neale, to fill in the blanks in MY mind. It also does not hurt that he's British too!

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - and Off Topic - when I would go to London, many years ago, most folk spoke, in a fashion similar to Lucy. Oh there were a few regional inflections in there, but in general, it was the Queen's English. I would stop into stores, in which I had no interest, just to hear the shopkeepers speak to me. Not like that anymore. I hear Farsi, Hindi, or some Eastern Euro language. No one speaks English (at least not UK English) any more. I have to go out from the city, many Km, just to hear the country's language again. Maybe that is why I am a fan of Lucy. Sorry for the tangent, but good luck, and please let us know if Neale's suggestions work for the iPod and iPad.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 11:19 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Michigan!?!?! Here I thought that you WERE British. My bad.

Also, the humor in the Lucy pieces seemed very, very British, at least to me. You fooled me.

I know zero about iFile, or DropBox, so cannot help there.

I think that Neale (our UK friend), has provided you with suggestions that will get you up and running. Please report your success.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

.... and Off Topic - when I would go to London, many years ago, most folk spoke, in a fashion similar to Lucy. Oh there were a few regional inflections in there, but in general, it was the Queen's English. I would stop into stores, in which I had no interest, just to hear the shopkeepers speak to me. Not like that anymore. I hear Farsi, Hindi, or some Eastern Euro language. No one speaks English (at least not UK English) any more. I have to go out from the city, many Km, just to hear the country's language again. Maybe that is why I am a fan of Lucy. Sorry for the tangent.....

My DW and I took a cruise ship that departed near London and headed south to Italy and back last year.  There were about 20 yanks aboard.  The rest were Brits.  We got to hear the Queens English everywere.  It was a highligh of our trip.  Oh, and the criuse ship severed a lot of British food!

To put this back on topic, I shot so much video I came back and HAD to learn PrE10.  Been loving what it's taught me since.

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points