Skip navigation
bgs625
Currently Being Moderated

Could not save as “filename” because of a program error (photoshop cloud)?

Jul 30, 2012 2:47 PM

Tags: #photoshop #saving_issues #cloud #error_encountered

I have been using Photoshop on the Creative Cloud Suite for about a month now, and over the past two days I have been getting this error message when trying to save my files: "Could not save as (filename) because of a program error". I have never had this issue before, my files are not very large at all (only about 5-8 layers tops), and I swear I am not doing anything differently than usual! I have tried different files just to make sure it wasn't a weird bug in one, but it seems to happen consistantly now. It will eventually let me save once I flatten the file, but it is necessary for me to keep a file with all of my layers as I need to edit my work often. I am in the middle of 2 timely projects right now and would really appreciate any help ASAP! Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to bgs625

Hi Bgs625,

These questions come to mind:

- What operating system are you on?

- Does this happen with all files new blank file, existing ones?

- Does saving the file to a different place make any difference? - Saving to the desktop for example

For starters I would want to try restoring the Photoshop preferences to the defaults and test in a new user account

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/presets-preferences-plug-ins.ht ml#preferences

-Dave

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to David__B

What OS version?

Are you saving to a file server?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I'll add my response to this question because we are having the same problem here. My partner and I are using Lion 10.8.1 with Photoshop CS5.5. We have 3.2 GHz 27" iMacs with 12 GB of RAM and 1TB drives.

Could not save as “[filname]” because of a program error.

We have only recently had this issue since upgrading to Lion as we've been using CS5.5 without issue for many months. When saving the files to our HD, we have no problem saving the file. When we open and re-save or save as back to our corporate server, we get this error. When we do this, the file disappears from the server. The only recourse is to save the file to our desktops and copy the file to the server. This issue is not present in inDesign or Illustrator files.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 4, 2012 11:43 AM   in reply to jethrolyons

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 10.8.1 actually Mountain Lion?  I imagine everyone realizes that but I just want to make sure there's no confusion...

There is a workaround that's been discovered that minimizes problems with saving on a server:  Go into your Photoshop - Preferences - File Handling dialog and turn off the saving of Image Previews.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Yes, Mountain Lion.

I made the preference change and it looks like it corrected the problem. Is this a Mountain Lion issue or a photoshop issue? I noticed some people with CS6 were having a similar issue, so didn't look like an upgrade fixed this issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,458 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 4, 2012 12:23 PM   in reply to jethrolyons

To be clear, it's worked around the problem, and I hear it's not 100% reliable, so watch carefully for failures and save local copies of your work.

If I recall correctly, Adobe says it's most likely an OS bug with Mountain Lion and accessing servers.  I think there's an OS tweak that can accomplish a similar thing but allow you to write thumbnail previews on your local drive, but I'll be darned if I can turn up that thread.  Not being a Mac expert the name of the file has drained out of my feeble brain, so I don't have a specific thing to search for.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points